Too windy to fish?

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Blowing a gale here in Sheffield

too strong for the pole (thought it might break)
can't get the float right on the rod and the quiver tip just gets blown by the wind - gave it 2 hours and gave up

anyone had better luck?

many be I should have gone somewhere more sheltered

dangermouse

Reaction score
Strong winds are a probably the worst weather to fish in. Went out last year and caught the back end of the hurricane, complete nightmare, not to be recommended. Quite fancy a trip to the Don but it`ll have to wait until the wind dies down.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Fished an open on a 24acre pit for 6 hours today, set my seatbox with my back to the wind which was ok until it decided to change direction and blow straight in my face...
Had 4 bites and landed 2 bream.

MRWELL

Reaction score
I only use one of two methods in the wind,ledger or feeder,sink the line and job done,as long as the line is off the top it should not matter how windy it is although a nice calm day is better.

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
Lord Paul of Sheffield said:
Blowing a gale here in Sheffield

too strong for the pole (thought it might break)
can't get the float right on the rod and the quiver tip just gets blown by the wind - gave it 2 hours and gave up

anyone had better luck?

many be I should have gone somewhere more sheltered

I fish a water in Peterborough last year in the teeth of an easterly cross wind which changed direction to a north Easter right in my face. The float didnt stay still all day and despite laying on at least a foot.I suppose it was more or less trotting. Any natural stuff will be getting tossed around I guess so your bait won't look that unnatural. That was my logic (probably flawed so don't right in ;)) I still caught a few until frostbite set in.

Never been so cold in my life that day !

sam vimes

Reaction score
Definitely too windy for my preference, especially pole or rod and line float fishing. I did get out today but decided to have a day carping.

bigchub

Reaction score
Out for a days chubbing tomorrow. Not too bothered about the wind. When conditions are less than ideal (especially in wind), it seems to make you concentrate harder. You know when you get a bite from a chub on the quivertip!

andreagrispi

Reaction score
Went on the river today - conditions very hazardous, especially near trees. I could only fish a handful of swims which had a level of protection from the wind. Managed 4 good sized chub.

terry m

Reaction score
Sat for 10 hours facing directly iunto the wind today behind deadbaits. Tried to get some shelter with a brolly but that was destryed beyond repair after about 30 minutes.

Was just wondering what the effing hell I was doing when a 21lb 14oz pike picked up my mackerel, turned out to be a great day!!

maceo

Reaction score
It was too windy.

I was desperate to get out today too - only chance for about a week. Five hours on the upper Thames with hardly a bite. Caught one little gudgeon but it dropped off about 2 inches short of the bank - so technically I blanked. First time that's happened to me down there. Tried everything, but nothing was working today.

Left two brand new Steve Maher Tapered Wagglers ("Steve uses these wagglers to tackle difficult wind conditions" HA!) dangling upside down in the adjacent hawthorn tree. Got covered in blood from catching hold of a hawthorn branch trying to get them back.

Got a massive tangle round the back of the reel and thought that's it. Enough.

First time I've packed up while there's still daylight for a long time.