This Forum got me into trouble

ronbc5

Reaction score
I heard them before I saw them, 'Hey how far now, oh just around the corner' and 'James that's so funny' Open Canoes the expensive wilderness type ones. I had chosen a little spot and prepaired it yesterday on a Medway backwater for a few hours of relaxation peace & quiet plus my countryside fix , how wrong can you be.

They passed by on the other bank, chatter chatter chatter 'SHUT UP' I thought then they all stopped around the bend at the Lock, I could hear them for a good half hour then one appeared to be coming back away from the others just out of view but stopped in my swim and started practising manoeuvres, almost deliberately.

I reeled in and stared at him, he carried on, right I thought a reply on Fishing Magic suggested Maggots I'll try that so with my annoyance rising :mad: I fired a few at him. Hey what are you doing he said, Oh you can see me then I replied following up with you do know I am trying to fish here, you have the whole river why here ? I can do this wherever want was the reply I pay my license fee do that again and I will sort you out, you can try I said bluffing nicely :rolleyes:) , because after a heated exchange of words he returned down river , I could hear him telling the others what had happened so I decided to pack up and leave I didn't want this getting out of control, it was nearly my time anyway, a few years younger and I would not have cared I have promised my Mrs to control my temper age helps ! :wh

This situation proves two things, firstly how busy are Rivers are. Canoeists have landing stages built for them and lock passes etc etc it seems Anglers are not thought of at all or at least less. More importantly respect should be given by ALL users to each other , personally I think anglers are a accommodating bunch, Pity some other users have to spoil it with greed and ignorance. Has anybody else encountered a similar situation and what happened ???

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Yep, those open Canadian-type canoeists can be the worst. Watch out if it was this fella -
07Deliverance_BD_lewis.jpg

We've had a problem for years with canoeists coming over the weir and then, even when there's an angler fishing there, turning their canoe into the fast flume and doing turns and rollovers etc. Many a cross word has been had between angler and canoeist that culminated in abusive language on both sides. However ......

Recently, I had a meeting with one of the main organisers of these canoe training days and I hope we have now come to an agreement. I reminded him that there is a courtesy between anglers and powered boats in that if a powered boat wishes to moor up, they don't do it where an angler is already fishing. Similarly, when the canoes come through in future and find an angler fishing, they should pas through as quickly as possible cause as little disturbance to water as is necessary. If there is no angler there, then splash around as much as you like.

Mutual respect for each others pursuits, that's all that's required. I hope my faith in human promises is born out. If not ..... :mad:

dangermouse

Reaction score
Never seen any on the river but I`ve seen a few on the canal. Never had any problems with them, they`ve always stayed well away from where we`re fishing. The last lot I remember were a family of 3, mum, dad and a very inquisitive young lad who wanted to know if we`d caught owt and why we weren`t casting out into the middle of the canal.

agamemnon

Reaction score
you will get the odd sad to**er that thinks he owns the water in his boat. if maggots fail then i find a 4oz lead should do the trick :)

freebird7

Reaction score
If you cant beat em join em.
Fishing from an open canoe can grant access to some great fishing, allowing aces to parts of rivers otherwise inaccessible on foot.....The bad news being that fishing from any vessel be it a boat or canoe is baned on the Medway :rolleyes:

paul80

Reaction score
Sadly you will always get this

Canoeist who think they own the water

Cyclists that think they own the Towpaths

Anglers that think they own the water and the Towpaths.

No one is right and no one will give in.

We are all Humans, don't expect anyone to give in, we just don't get along with our own kind, The most we get along with is our selected friends, out spouses and at a push our children, after that we look to other species like dogs to get along with, but other humans, never. Just look at history if you think I am wrong.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Sadly you will always get this

Canoeist who think they own the water

Cyclists that think they own the Towpaths

Anglers that think they own the water and the Towpaths.

No one is right and no one will give in.

We are all Humans, don't expect anyone to give in, we just don't get along with our own kind, The most we get along with is our selected friends, out spouses and at a push our children, after that we look to other species like dogs to get along with, but other humans, never. Just look at history if you think I am wrong.

Until cyclists and canoeists pay for the priveledge, as anglers do, then they have to accept being further down the pecking order than anglers. That's where my objections lie. If they get their hands in their pockets, to the same extent that an angler has to, then I will be prepared to share.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Until cyclists and canoeists pay for the priveledge, as anglers do, then they have to accept being further down the pecking order than anglers. That's where my objections lie. If they get their hands in their pockets, to the same extent that an angler has to, then I will be prepared to share.

I couldn't agree more!

As in all things in today's life, if you want to use it, then be prepared to pay for it!

ronbc5

Reaction score
Interesting comments seems this is a thorny subject. Boats I can accept they just pass through but these blighters had real attitude , to be honest this is the reason although my club has a lot of the river fishing, I do not fish on the main stretch at weekends especially in the summer. thought I read the EA charges them for use of river Mmm not sure will have to check that out.