Slugs for carp

Bobby the Blank

Reaction score
The love affair that chub have with slugs is well documented.
This leads me to wonder whether anyone has met with success using slugs in the margins for carp. Surely enough slugs in margin areas end up going for a swim (especially in the current conditions) and it's hard to imagine that they go uneaten.

T

The Monk

tried them, didnt work, I`ve no doubt carp dont take them occasionally though

Reaction score
Had several crawl into my bait boxes in the rain the other day - not a sniff with one on the hook though. The Carp were happilly taking worms though.

Bobby the Blank

Reaction score
Damn shame that, since my allotment is crawling with the bleeders.
Looks like it's back to plan A. I won't use poisons to kill them since it results in the needless deaths of hedgehogs,frogs and birds,who die a nasty death after eating mollusks which have consumed these toxins.
These garden visitors are my friends, after all, and I for one will not put their lives at risk - I'd much rather put up with the loss of a few plants.
Plan A, by the way, came into being because of a geezer 2 gardens down who my Westies absolutely detest. Each time he passes they go berserk, resulting in the worst foul language I've ever heard. Dogs are good judges of character, so it's fairly certain that there is something objectionable about him.
To cut a long story short, I now deliver any slugs and snails to his plot by means of a Drennan catty. Defeats my object really, since he probably poisons them anyway, but there's no denying the pleasure it gives! It hasn't half improved my baiting up too.

T

The Monk

my ferrets love slugs, they fight the hedghogs for them in my garden

Lee Hardman

Reaction score
tried water snails caught a couple of stockies but no big ones. just de shelled the snails then hair rigged them as normal.

Bobby the Blank

Reaction score
Lee, Might have been more effective with the shells left on? This is how the fish eat 'em after all.
Cheers,Rob.

Bobby the Blank

Reaction score
Fantastic pic John. Quite fantastic creatures in their own way. Shame they're such a bleeding nuisance!

Lee Hardman

Reaction score
true mate but it was at a height of madness. i caught a tench at 12 at night and as i was putting it back i realised that there was an abunanace of snails. i just stuck a bolie needle throught them and put them out onto a baited spot. snails are a good bait in lakes that respond to naturals if they are present in numbers