Peculiar Carp I caught today

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I have been fishing a small three lake commercial today near Worcester and I had two carp the likes of which I never seen in my life before.

Neither of them were very big, a pound maybe a tad heavier but the tail, all fins and the back were black, not dark, I'm talking jet black the lower half of the body reverted to a more normal colouring but very dark even so, the scaling indicated a perfectly normal common carp.

Anyone seen carp like this before? I am pretty sure they weren't ornamental but that jet black colouring certainly wasn't normal so who knows.

S

Scott Whatmore

Dad, you really must remember to take the odd photo. It'd really help!

But from the description I'm gonna guess at the lesser known Worcestershire Black Carp :eek:)

It'll probs be a cross with an ornamental Koi.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

You bad lad Scott.
Graham,
as your lad says it could be a cross with an ornamental Koi. Juvinile goldfish can be all black, until they become adult fish. Then they change colour completely.

T

The Monk

Naughty boy Scott, send him to bed with no tea Graham

|I expect what you caught are what we used to term black and ambers, our local canal used to be full of them in the 60s, they are still cyprinus carpio, but not king or wildie varieties, more attached to the koi variety on their way back through the phenotype gene stream

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I never think to use my mobile phone camera which has a perfectly suitable 3 megapixel camera which I can upload to my comp, no thats not true, I do think about it but usually on the way home!

I have caught loads of Koi carp over the years but I have never seen anything like these two, in fact I have never caught anything that black. I showed the first one to the 2 guys with me and they suggested they were illegal immigrants, can't be right, can it?

Logic suggests they were ornamental of course but I don't know, no other explanation from me. The pool does contain a mixture of carp, I had mirrors, commons and I saw but never caught Ghosties that run to 20lb so the blurb goes. It also contains decent roach, rudd and half decent chub too, is it a coincidence that the river Salwarpe runs through the fishery.

T

The Monk

they suggested they were illegal immigrants

yes thats right, Carp, probably brought in by the Romans originally. These things are all varietyised Graham and come in many sizes shapes and colours

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Umberto is not amused with Scott and myself then?