Otters and Other Stuff...

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
That's a very well-balanced viewpoint, Mark. In particular, I agree with your comments about the Eastern Europeans who obey the rules and try to tell their countrymen to do the same; I bumped into one on the Nene last summer: "I am NOT," he said pointing angrily along the bank at some EE alcoholics with rods, "I am NOT like THOSE people..."

I stand to be corrected, but I think you are mistaken in the belief that otter introductions are still going on. As far as I am aware, the population growth has been entirely a natural one for the last five years or so.

They are now endemic around Peterborough. Two have come a cropper on a local bypass, and one was seen by a thrilled public at our local water park, Ferry Meadows, just two months ago.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I too disagree about the 'foreign' stance on wels and zander Mark. They are in our waters and have been reproducing here for many decades so IMO should be considered as British fish. But just because other anglers don't agree with that assessment wouldn't stop me joining the ATr - that's just shooting oneself in the foot.

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have to say the Wels and Zander were in my PG Tips cards in 1960, so are well established in my mind.
I think it's about time we stopped worrying about things that happened years ago, and just got on with making sure the future is brighter for angling!!

---------- Post added at 11:18 ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 ----------

On the way?

Anglers win battle in 3 year war for water industry transparency - The Angling Trust

Last edited:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I too disagree about the 'foreign' stance on wels and zander Mark. They are in our waters and have been reproducing here for many decades so IMO should be considered as British fish. But just because other anglers don't agree with that assessment wouldn't stop me joining the ATr - that's just shooting oneself in the foot.
I disagree and agree.

What?

Well I disagree about wels in that they should not be allowed in rivers, not unless you just want to catch wels and carp over 20lbs. I know people say the Spanish rivers are full of small fish, we don't have rivers like the Spanish or the French do.

As for zander, we don't get them in the middle Thames and that's how I prefer it to remain. Much as I like them and wouldn't mind catching them - in the Netherlands.

However, much as I disagree with a lot of the ATr and their way of doing things at the moment I have to put my money down and back them. I'd rather be on the inside of the tent peeing out, if you take my point.

mark barrett 2

Reaction score
The problem is Woody thyat both yours and the EA's argument, particulary as regards to Wels in rivers just doesnt hold water.

Wels are present in a lot if not all the major waterways on the continental river systems and only on the Ebro have they become anything other than just one part of a balanced fishery. Also we have had cats in several of our major waterways, certainly the Ouse and Thames for twenty years or more, far more time than it took the Ebro cats to explode in numbers, yet I doubt that there are any or many Engllish angers that have seen a cat from either of these rivers by either luck or on purpose.

I would also add that zander have this reputation for spreading everywhere, well that doesnt happen either. zander like every other species need the right environment in which to prosper. Even here on the fens where we have had them longer than anywhere else there are three main rivers, the little ouse, wissey and lark that I wouldnt weild a zander rod in anger on as the populations are so negigable as to be not worth trying to catch by design.

As PAC secretary at the time that the 2010b changes were being consaulted upon I was involved oin the consultation and I along with others expressed the feeling that the time was right for both wels and zander to be taken off the illegal aliens list, but basicaly the feeling coming back from the AT was that it would take too long and would hold up the fishery by law changes, changes that in my opinion were knee jerk in the extreme and have done little to nothing to solve or erradicate the problem on which they were brought in to solve.

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
As PAC secretary at the time that the 2010b changes were being consaulted upon I was involved oin the consultation and I along with others expressed the feeling that the time was right for both wels and zander to be taken off the illegal aliens list, but basicaly the feeling coming back from the AT was that it would take too long and would hold up the fishery by law changes, changes that in my opinion were knee jerk in the extreme and have done little to nothing to solve or erradicate the problem on which they were brought in to solve.

You might say that Mark, but coming from an area where every single (non salmonid) fish taken could be legally thrown up the bank, and was encouraged by many clubs/anglers, many others might have a different opinion.