Moving to Ireland

colsmiff

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

its been a long time since I've posted anything, well basically since I was forced into a temporary career change working continental shifts in an airbag factory.
Fortunately Lady Luck has smiled on me and I'm now off to Ireland, Kilkenny to be exact, to continue my career as a Toxicologist.
My wife is delighted to be moving "back home", being from Co Laoise originally and I must admit I can't wait myself.

Does anyone have any info on the coarse fishing in that part of the world? Also the locations of any extant tackle shops would be greatly appreciated. The shop listed in Goldenpages didn't seem to exist when I went over on a factfinding mission (desperate scramble to find a house to rent) recently.

Thanks in advance

Colin

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Just put "Fishing in Kilkenny" in your google search and you will see loads of stuff about local fishing and they have a Kilkenny Fishing club as well incidentally.

Trout, pike, bream, roach, rudd and perch will be the normal Irish offerings but I tell you what mate, I really envy you going to live there. When we retired I wanted the missus and I to go and live in Ireland because I absolutely love the place and not just for the fishing either, too quiet she said, women eh!

Did you know that Kilkenny is on the river Nore and is the only city in Ireland that isn't on a tidal river? For more useless bits of information please ring............

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

The river Barrow isn't too far away
There is a lot of Tench,Bream Roach and Rudd fishiing in County Laois in the following lakes :

Granstown Lake
Templemore Lake
Rathdaire Lake
Ballaghmore Lake
Ballinakill Gills Pond and Mass Lough
Little Bog Lake
Portarlington Derryounce Lake
Brittas Lake
Castlecomer Lakes
Emo Lake
Kellyville Lake
Stradbally Lake

Some are controlled by local fishing clubs -- I'm sure anyone will advise once you get over there

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

If you go to THIS site there are pdf maps and files about fishing in Co Laois

There isn't a lot of coarse fishing in Co Kilkenny -- Theres a man made lake in Castlecomer and I think theres another coarse lake in Clondalkin and thats about it ....the rest is trout fishing

colsmiff

Reaction score
Hi Graham, Ed

thanks for the info. Kilkenny certainly does seem to be more geared to game rather than coarse fishing. The missus can go visiting family in Laois... then again she is just as partial to maggotdrowning as me!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Take up fly fishing mate.

You will never look back!

colsmiff

Reaction score
Yes Ron,
I certainly intend to cast a fly or two on the Nore. I will eventually be living/working in Thomastown so flyfishing will probably be the main stay of my short session/evening fishing, with trips further afield at the weekends for cyprinids. Well that's the theory anyway!

T

Terry York 1

I was in Kilkenny four weeks ago and had a look at the Nore.Where it runs through the town it is very slow, more like a canal but there is a nice looking weir just downstream of the castle where it looks more like a river.Also saw a notice on the river bank warning anglers not to take fish for the table due to poor water quality.

colsmiff

Reaction score
Probably just a ruse to stop the FN's stealing the fish LOL.
I was over a couple of weeks ago and the river was pulling through quite quickly in the city due to the amount of rain that had fallen, though after a couple of days the level was falling.