commercials good or bad for kids

gerry h

Reaction score
after having had the opening weekends fishing trip blown,i decided to have a go at my local commercial 'burton mere' having been away from home for a couple of weeks before i took my ten year old daughter whose list of pb's is miles ahead of mine at that age .
anyway after an hour or so she was bored because she wasnt catching,my fault i suppose because its where i normally take her and she bags up
The question is,is taking our kids to commercials for an easy time the right way to go

Samuel Morris

Reaction score
At a younger i know i was more interested in catching fish constantly and enjoying myself through physical rewards such as the fish. Now my fishing has matured and enjoy the challange of specemin fishing and the relaxation of sitting besides the river.

In a more straight forword way to answer your question i believe the commercial for great for getting young kids into fishing. Once they are hooked they will probably start to enjoy the time between catching the fish aswell as the time the playing the fish.

Sam.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Not so long ago there weren't any commercials. We just got on with it and fished regardless if we caught or not.
And this was at a time when there were supposed to be more anglers than what there are now. So what's gone wrong?

I don't mean to be rude Jerry, but the kids of today are being brought up in a society where they want something and they want it NOW!

More time spent thinking about what they are doing and watching other experienced anglers, will help them to catch quicker and more satisfyingly than going to any commercial where it's a fish a chuck. And they will have caught by their own efforts.

Try taking them for a walk along a small river somewhere, where they can actually see the fish. Then try and get them into a discussion on how they think this will be best achieved. They only have to catch one, but I'd bet the sense of achievement would be far greater than going to any commercial and bagging up all day. And they will have done it themselves.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Nowt wrong with commercials whatsoever, in fact it is probably the best place for a youngster to learn about fishing and I dont just mean catching fish, either.

Most good commercials, and they are mostly <u>GOOD</u> well run commercials, are run to a set of rules designed to protect the fish and there surroundings. They are places where the basics of fishing are easily taught where fooling about will not be tolerated neither will incorrect treatment of fish nor the dropping of litter. In short angling for enjoyment and the enjoyment of others is promoted and youngsters learn to respect the fish, their surroundings and other anglers, something that wasn't available years ago and more is the pity judging by the antics of some of todays so called adult anglers.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

You didn't learn on a commercial Graham.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
That is true Baz but not everyone had teachers as good as I had in my father to start with and then experienced anglers when I took up pleasure fishing and match fishing after leaving the Navy.

Commercial fisheries, whether we like them or not, are the present and the future of angling, it is where the majority of anglers fish now and even more will in the future. The anglers that use those fisheries are what keeps the majority of tackle shops in business because if they had to rely on river anglers like me and specimen anglers they would have gone out of business years ago.

Bobby the Blank

Reaction score
Now this is a right old can of worms.

We are all aware that commercial venues are unrepresentative in terms of a normal fishing situation, but what they do offer is a chance
for new anglers to learn the ropes and be able to catch despite a lack of skills and technique.
Not all kids are lucky enough to have parents who fish. Quite often they are dropped off at these places having had no previous instruction and with gear that is either useless or unsuitable.
At commercial venues there are always plenty of anglers to watch and learn from. Many of these are unpretentious types who don't mind taking time out to give pointers on methods and fish care to those less able. I for one have given loads of kids a nudge in the right direction and no doubt they are now better anglers and have learned more quickly than they otherwise would have.
My kids cut their angling teeth on such venues and having learned the basics can now hold their own in more challenging situations. We rarely fish commercials these
days but there is no doubt in my mind that
the easy fishing had a big role to play in piquing and maintaining their interest in the first place.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

What age are we talkinig about here?

The consensus seems to be that when you first take your kids half an hour to an hour max is the best period of time.I am not sure commercials do hourly tickets?

I am taking my lad down to the canal next weekend for half an hour on his 4th birthday with a little whip.Hopefully we will get a few bites and maybe a small roach and gudgeon or two.Sure we could go to a commercial and get some much bigger F1s but I suspect we would have just as much fun on the canal.After all from their perspective, its more about the time they have with ther dad than where they go.

I heard Chris Yates talking about his kids and fishing a while back.His view was that whilst they liked fishing, they did not have the self-fuelled obsession he had as a child from a non-fishing family simply because it was too easy for them with a fishing mad dad.Maybe it is better we make it a little difficult at the outset if we want the bug to really bite?

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Good point Nigel a little exspensive for a short time and be in no doubt the attention span of a four year old when fishing is short,they would rather throw stones mess with bait and generally have a fun time but thats what riverbanks are all about for kids or it was for me but sadly you wouldnt let your kids go were we used to on our own but that is another topic.I would like my lads to learn there selfs really by going with there mates and having the crack like I used to catching minnows and stickle backs and working upto perch and so on.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

From Bobby.

Not all kids are lucky enough to have parents who fish. Quite often they are dropped off at these places having had no previous instruction and with gear that is either useless or unsuitable.

My Heart Bleeds For Them. I went on my bike that I had made up from the scrap yard, or walked.

From Nigel.

Maybe it is better we make it a little difficult at the outset if we want the bug to really bite?

Exactly My Point.

Bobby the Blank

Reaction score
Good point Nigel. I was unable to take my own kids until they were 8 and 9 years old respectively and the commercials were ideal for more reasons than I have stated. My handicapped boy needed a toilet close by(quite often for a clean-up job since he gave little or no warning of his needs)and my daughter flat refused to go "bush" style. Now they are older this is no longer a problem so we can go where the mood takes us.
I guess it's easier to relate to ones own experiences than to see the wider picture.

Bobby the Blank

Reaction score
Baz,
My early fishing experiences mirror your own, but would I let my bairns fish unaccompanied in these times? Not on your nelly!

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I was never unaccompanied Bobby. Every kid in the street was in the same boat.
We are breeding a nation of wimps and mard arses. Although I do see your point.

Bobby the Blank

Reaction score
Baz, There's nowhere to fish close to us, so I have to take 'em or they wouldn't have had the chance.At least now they can see that there's more to life than video games, telly and baiting pensioners. It's a sad reflection on modern life that most kids have no desire to do the things we did and have to be shown how to have fun.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

That just about sums it up mate.
A wet nelly is a wimp.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

In Liverpool a 'wet nelly' is a bread pudding

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Theres no where really close to me, if my mum won't take me I walk the 2 miles to the nearest lake with all my gear. Not convinced its doing my back any good.

edit -

Also agree if it's to easy at the start they get bored quickly. The friend I took caught a few carp on his first trip now hes not interested in the little ones. But hasn't developed the patience to wait.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
I think Baz has just about summed it up for me mard arse kids with two of everything,when I look back if I found some shot and hooks they were going in the tackle box to double my collection we were all the same like little rats on the bank but what fun.