Winter fishing

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I've read in a couple of angling papers where angler have said how they enjoy winter fishing, even FM's Editor Ian W I'm sure stated how he looks forward to the colder months.
Well good luck to them, I'll fish in the cold, break the ice to wet a line but give me those long days on warmth, where I don't have to wear 6 layers just to stop frost bite, when I can fish in the evenings catching a nice bag of fish one night and then target carp off the top the next.

Roll on Spring

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Same here M'Lud, 4 out of five blanks (river, canal, syndicate pool, council pool and commercial) and freezing cold. I'm looking forward to long, warm evenings, fishing any night I want to, with half a chance of a float dipping. Sam Vimes started a thread about footwear for the winter, I think I'll stick to carpet slippers ;)

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I don't mind a walk in winter but sitting i nthe freezing cold - after about 3 hours I've had enough - hopefully this weekend the temp will be ok and the wind not a gale force as last weekend and I'm going fishing

mol

Reaction score
I'll swap 'em my winters for their summers!

I enjoy fishing and being outdoors but it's so much more pleasant in the spring, summer and autumn than winter.

dangermouse

Reaction score
Warm spring mornings, sat by a quiet pool catching a few tench. Roll on spring indeed.

andreagrispi

Reaction score
I love winter fishing on a river - with the right gear on you can feel very comfortable.

Mind you, nothing beats early morning summer fishing.

The bad one

Reaction score
Really don't know what you lot are on about :confused: There is no excuse for being cold in the UK winters....Unless you're just tight and won't spend the money on the gear you need to stay warm!
After parting with the cash for warmth, what have been your potential returns so far this winter, which it has to be said has been a mild one.

Well, to date the barbel have NOT stopped feeding since the start of the season in my region, with the exception of the weekend of 14 Jan. And then the chub fed ravenously during the cold snap weekend.
Per my results for that weekend when the air temperature dropped to -7C after dark. 8 Chub over the two days, 7 of which were over 4 lb and 2 of the 8 were 5+.

"Get the gear, and get some idea" and fish to the seasons and the species that will feed through those seasons.
You don't catch fish sat in front of the fire, watching the cra* telly, with carpet slippers on.:eek:mg:
Plus side for me whilst you doing that and wishing your life away for warm weather, your not blocking the better swims up for me. :D

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I fished the last 2 Sunday's one bitterly cold and last blowing a major Hooly .
I thought Yorkshiremen were supposed to be 'ard Paul?
and we were all soft southern shandeepoofters....

andreagrispi

Reaction score
My catches have been consistent over the winter as well. I've caught every session except one, when I had to go home due to a bad headache.

Had some good chub and good roach, with up to 7 fish in a session.

Bluenose

Reaction score
I love winter fishing, short sessions, fewer people on the bank, keeping on the move and if you are on the rivers a chance of a real lump!

When the light starts to go in autumn/winter, along with a summer dawn, they are both the times of real expectation!

Reaction score
I've read in a couple of angling papers where angler have said how they enjoy winter fishing, even FM's Editor Ian W I'm sure stated how he looks forward to the colder months.
Well good luck to them, I'll fish in the cold, break the ice to wet a line but give me those long days on warmth, where I don't have to wear 6 layers just to stop frost bite, when I can fish in the evenings catching a nice bag of fish one night and then target carp off the top the next.

Roll on Spring

M'lud,

With all due respect, you can hardly count the last few months as a proper winter...

This is the mildest for years, and for me has been very concistent on the river for many species... the zander especially are having it large!

Get your butler to drop a jam thermometer in your moat...you'll be pleasantly surprised...:)

barbelboi

Reaction score
I was 'dragged' off the river by a couple of friends on Monday for a bit of winter ish carp fishing on a local pit. Although there was very little fish movement (two signs in six hours) I was pleasantly surprised with four decent carp and a tench - the largest carp taken on half a 10mm cork ball zigged at 4'. There were only the three of us fishing.
Jerry

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
It's not that I don't fish in winter but in folks i nthe anlging press i mention said things like how they looked forward to he colder months - can't say I "look forward" to fishing in the cold

Eric Edwards

Reaction score
Give me winter over summer anytime. Hate the summer, red hot days, sunburn, mozzies, sweating cobs when you carry your gear.

Winter's far more civilised - and I'm catching loads!

chav professor

Reaction score
Give me a proper winter and I will enjoy winter fishing over summer any time. In the Summer you have a feeding spell at dawn and dusk - in good winter conditions, fish feed freely all day and often into the night.

theartist

Reaction score
For me the season starts in November or when the rains come and just gets better and better until the dreaded 15th. Get on a small river carrying extra water, arm yourselves with adequate trotting gear and half a pint of maggots and its almost impossible to not have a great days fishing regardless of temperature.