Accidental chub captures whist pike fishing

Phil Heaton

Reaction score
Here's an old Trent warrior that snaffled a 6" fox replicant, obviously intended for a green toothed monster.
trentoct20096.jpg

philblakey

Reaction score
I've had a few chub by accident, on various lures, never had a big chub though.
A couple of old ones! One on a Lucky 13 off the top; the others a Reflex spinner.

5vtytc.jpg

11j0r3m.jpg

Phil.

Eric Edwards

Reaction score
Here's a five pound chub I had on a big chunk of lamprey from the Ure a few years back. Had the baits picked up several times by chub but only landed this one.
Lampreycaughtchub.jpg

richard bowler

Reaction score
A few years ago I had a couple of chub just under the 5 pound mark on wobbled trout, the trout were about 6 inches and the fish were caught within 10 minutes of each other from the upper Gt Ouse.
All the best
Richard
- Home

mol

Reaction score
Had an accidental barbel whilst lure fishing for chub.

B1.jpg

You can just make out the kopyto shad inside the mouth

Last edited:

mol

Reaction score
What other species have taken lure or spinner - I've heard of carp caught with the lure in the scissors

Apart from predatory species I've heard of and seen pics of bream, tench, rudd, roach, gudgeon, and grayling all caught on lures. The ultralight stuff really seems to appeal to more species than you'd first think but then some ultralight lures are barely bigger than fishing flies these days.

terry m

Reaction score
I have had medium sized chub on lures intended for pike, Fox Runts and 6inch shads!

The common themes are that it has always been in the summer, and without exception the lure has been grabbed as soon as it hits the water!!

valleybrown

Reaction score
Not exactly relevant to this thread, so apologies in advance:eek:mg:

Recently I’ve caught loads of chub whilst fishing for perch. The chubbers seem to love small “soft plastics” on ultralight jig heads.

They go barmy for Berkley craws, crickets, shrimp, leech, minnows, and nightcrawlers. So much so I’ve targeted chub on them.
No groundbait, feeders, maggots and worms. Just a couple of jars in me rucksack and a big hook. I feel such a cheat for doing so :wh

simon dunbar

Reaction score
Caught a few chub on lures , to 5 lbs 2 oz, once had a bream on a lure. A few years ago had a big carp follow a Rebel Buzz N Frog ( surface lure that looked like a swimming frog ) . Couple of casts later it followed it again, chomped at it but never took it properly. One day on the lower Dorset stour caught two mullet in a couple of casts while fishing for pike.
That was when I was into lure fishing big time , rarely go now ,still got loads of lures though !

mark knowles

Reaction score
Used to do a lot of small river chub fishing but to this day my biggest, 5lb 9oz, took a float ledgered sardine from the wide Welland near Crowland Bridge.

strikerbw

Reaction score
Had my first fish on predator gear fortnight ago, new pb lower Severn chub 6lb 5oz on a lamprey section. Still waiting for first pike but can't complain at that! A real lump!

bank_tramp

Reaction score
Had plenty on lures tho not really accidental. One capture does stick in my mind of a
4lb 10oz fish that took a 6 inch roach livebait complete with wire trace and trebles

themyth

Reaction score
i can recall bagging 3 carp one hot summers day upto 33lb on the old devonshire minnow spinner,most the other lads were sitting it out on zigs and surface baits.

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Only one (so far!) a 4-12 that took a patanostered 6" trout deadbait on the Mole near Dorking. Over Christmas about 10 yrs ago. The thread brought back the memory.

Stu

aaronlee

Reaction score
I regular use lures for chub, during the winter and summer even though they could quite as well catch Pike, they just tend to be smaller for the chub, but this won't stop decent sized chub attacking a 6" lure. As I see from the posts a few members have had them on 6" lures. I tend to use lures around the 40 - 70mm mark specifically for them but maybe I should try a few bigger ones sometimes?.