Renovation, Restoration or Ruination...

dezza

Reaction score
An interesting read that is worthy of comment.

My own attutude to old classic rods is simple. They are great to display on your wall or in a museum, but fish with them? No way!

With one exception - split cane is probably superior for light, short fly rods used for accuracy casting on small rivers, streams and brooks. In fact many of the split cane fly rods made in this country are exported to the USA for this very use.

Other than that, split cane today has been superceded in every department by top grade carbon fibre. Anyone who disagrees with me here is being silly!

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I had a chance about 6 years back to buy a couple of split can rods of an old guy I a small pond I fish occasionally.

I probably could have got both rods for £20 but having no intention of ever fishing with either of them I decided against buying them - probably could have re-sold them for £50 even if they needed a bit of work

enjoyed the article Kevin

Last edited:

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Great sales pitch Kevin, pass on £300 for something better suited for growing beans on though;) (I inherited a dunlop maxply and could never get used to those lightweight aluminium racquets :eek:mg:)

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Oh dear, I have been doing up several old rods lately, replacing missing rings, re varnishing etc. One as old as 130 years. Now I learn I have reduced them to a worthless pile of rubbish. Thanks Kevin! Mind you I did buy a Mitchel 324 like the one in your picture for £2 last week. BUT, the plastic end bit of the handle was missing so, I manage to replace it from one off another reel. Should have left it alone minus the handle bit as it is now another pile of rubbish. Help me out, is it worth anything (desperate)

Last edited:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
"It actually gets used quite often, and is more than happy chucking small plugs and Mepps spinners around."

And to be fair, Kevin, you have caught ONE fish, at least, with it!

jeff-woodhouse-albums-strange-things-seen-whilst-fishing-picture3018-kevin-perch.jpg

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
And to be fair, Kevin, you have caught ONE fish, at least, with it!

Actually used it yesterday and caught a 3ib pike, so it still works....! And in a strange turn of events, when I came home and unloaded my car I slammed the boot lid shut and heard a crunching sound. Yep, I had left the rod tip sticking out and now neatly severed 6" of the end. But it was my carbon rod that was now shorter and stiffer, the cane suffered no discernable damage at all.

And whilst I am annoyed that it happend, had it have been the cane rod I wouldn't have thrown myself onto the floor sobbing uncontrollably. They are just fishing rods, after all.........

Ps

At my son's school they thought I resembled Vinnie to the extent that I (and he) were left well alone.......!!!!

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
Nice, easy read, Kevin. Thanks. I must send in the account of when I acquired "...one of a small batch of MKIVs made by B.James and signed by me prior to mass production" (Richard Walker) I still have the letter.