centre pin reel

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I'm going to re-spool hte line on my centre pin - must be 4 year old the line - and should he line exit the reel from the bottom as I currently have it or off the top when the reel is fitted to the rod?

pertinaxone

Reaction score
I'm going to re-spool hte line on my centre pin - must be 4 year old the line - and should he line exit the reel from the bottom as I currently have it or off the top when the reel is fitted to the rod?

Which do you prefer? Winding handle forwards to retrieve or backwards? Don't think there is a definite right/wrong but I'm sure someone will say different ;)

Go with what feels best as they say :)

Jason

barbelboi

Reaction score

There's no right or wrong way. I prefer mine coming off the bottom as the handle turns the same way as the other reels I use. I believe it's easier to do the Wally cast with the line off the bottom, as long as you don't have a guard on;)
Jerry

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Exactly.

There will be some who say off the top in the same way as some fly anglers insist on the handle being on the RH side of the reel. Makes sense for lefties but having been forced to try it [cane rod old reel] it is the most cack handed way of doing things imagineable for a right handed person. Everything's back to front...rod in left hand reel with right ? No,no,no !

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Exactly.

There will be some who say off the top in the same way as some fly anglers insist on the handle being on the RH side of the reel. Makes sense for lefties but having been forced to try it [cane rod old reel] it is the most cack handed way of doing things imagineable for a right handed person. Everything's back to front...rod in left hand reel with right ? No,no,no !

Er - that my normal set up - I'm keggy handed - and to make matters worse - I have the rod in my right hand to cast i nthen move it to my left hand

barbelboi

Reaction score
I'm a lefty but have always used rod and reel the right handed way and would be uncomfortable changing. It's probably due to the fact that I started fishing at a very early age and the natural way would be to mimic my father who was right handed. The plot thickens, my son son's also a lefty and fishes the same way I do:confused:
Jerry
PS Wait for a cold winter 'til you burn me;)

sam vimes

Reaction score
Witch ! Burn him !

What I described makes perfect sense if you're left handed and none whatsoever if you're right handed.

What you describe is just some weird Northern thing.

Oi, it may be weird but Northern is pushing it.;):p

paul80

Reaction score
Line of the bottom for me as well.

The Odd thing is that most right handed fishermen who are more than happy holding the rod in their right hand but as soon as they try sea fishing with a multiplier reel automaticaly swap over to holding a much heavier rod in their weaker left hand. Than never made sense to me.

Paul

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
M'lud, your changing of hands to cast may, I suspect, be due to the fact that so-called "ambidextrous" reels cast more easily with the right hand feathering the line.
I'm amazed no-one's been busted under trade descriptions for this "ambidextrous" lie.
If you can ebay yourself an old Mitchell 209,309 or 409, or an Abu Dragmaster or 663, 664 or 665, you could be in for a treat, because the rod can stay in your left hand to cast, feather, trot, strike (the bale turns the right way to pick the line up from your finger with no slack at all) and play the fish. Bliss.

P.S. 1: Then again, the habit may be too hard to break, in which case, ignore the above!

P.S. 2: Don't buy a Mitchell 207, 321 or 325. The philosophy is right, but the engineering/build-quality is pony.

Last edited:

dnahacker

Reaction score
The main reason some folks prefer line coming off the top of the reel rather than the bottom is for spool control whilst playing fish...

with line coming off the bottom of the spool the pressure of fighting rotates the spool so that it is pushing against the thumb..

line off the top means it is pulling away, some feel that you can control the fish better this way

HTH

barbelboi

Reaction score
Dave Steuart mentioned in his book ‘Roach’ that he used to use a small Abu Record 2100 multiplier for ‘fun’ trotting in free-spool mode using his thumb as a controller. Anyone tried it?
Jerry