the wonderful witham.

redfin123

Reaction score
has any body read a book entitled the wonderful witham, it was written some years ago so the more senior of you might remember it. i dont know who wrote the book or wether its still in any libraries or old book shops.

dezza

Reaction score
I have never read it. but I would certainly like to.

In my life. I have fished the Witham from Bassingham to Boston. I remember the times when it was a premier match water. It was also capable of producing specimen fish, especially in the upper reaches where there were some excellent chub and roach.

flightliner

Reaction score
I have had a look on one or two websites about this book (little egret press etx)but with no success. I have read of this books existance and would like to read it myself. If you have any joy with your search let me know.
One book in my search that did interest me was one called "Fishing the Trent and the Witham" an angling times production of the late fifties or early sixties that may be of interest to you.
I suspect that besides it feuturing the rivers in a general sense it will dwell on the enormous popularity of match fishing that was in its hayday around that time.
Great shame about the river these days not being a patch on what it once was, the upper river has been hit ve5ry hard by otters and the lower river is so weedy its nigh impossible to fish in the warmer monthes.

---------- Post added at 14:35 ---------- Previous post was at 14:24 ----------

Mi lud-- yes, the angling star feutured a big piece on the Witham greats, notably (gentleman) George Sands one of the nicest guys you could wish to meet on a riverbank, great photo also of Kieth Boswell with a big net of bream as well-- if there was anybody that could give Tom Jones a run for his money singing it was him--I had the pleasure of fishing with both.
Happy Days.

Last edited:

Steve Handley

Reaction score
The Upper Witham is a shadow of its former self. The quality roach have disappeared down the gullets of the squadron of cormorants that descended on the river over the last couple of years when we had those winter cold spells. Not sure about the otters, I've not seen them yet, but I know they are further downstream, so I wouldn't be surprised by their appearance.

The chub are big though and those elusive barbel.....

flightliner

Reaction score
Steve, a well known angling friend of muine as been fishing the upper reaches of the Witham in the last few years and he,s seen the otters along with Mink (I,ve seen them myself).
Some areas that have had reasonably good numbers of chub are now seemingly devoid of them, shame as its a lovely little lowland river.