carp fishing on tidle rivers

N

NEIL FISHER 2

i have learned that there are large carp in my local tidle river and wondered if anyone had any tips on bait, rigs and times (tide coming in or out e.t.c.) to fish for them!for a change to lakes i fancyed a crack at them!

Keith Moors

Reaction score
Need to know a bit more about which river and how far up stream you are planning to fish. What is the river bed and what height of tide do you experience. It is feasible to search for features at low tide and mark them or cast to them from the high tide mark and mark your line so that when you are fishing from half to high water you know what you are fishing to. Don't expect too much to start with but keep wathcing the margins for activity and you will soon beging to work out their patrol routes. River carp are even more creatures of habit than their lake cousins.

T

The Monk

I know they catch carp in the tidal Thames, I think Bill Rushmore wrote about it a few times?

Keith Moors

Reaction score
I know that they catch quite a few 40's in the tidal Thames, as well as catfish......allegedly.

N

NEIL FISHER 2

hi keith!its the ouse in sussex up stream of lewes,there is a wier that stops most of the tide but anythig over a 5.7 comes over the top.there is a couple of sloosh gates that come from the fields on the opposite bank.there are a couple of heavly reeded bends aswell.most match winning weights come from the wier or the bends at the other end of the stretch.the bottom is quite silty along the hole river.tide varies from 5 m to 7 m.

Keith Moors

Reaction score
If you walk the stretch at low water you should be able to find some features. I would guess that there will be some scoured out hollows near to the reeds and just below the weir. Once the water has scoured the bottom it will have removed a lot of the silt and exposed snails etc which will be a natural larder for the carp and I also expect that the snails will be living on the reed stems (worth checking). By marking the scoured spots you can then bait up over them and get the carp to accept your boilies as part of their diet before starting to fish. Bait heavily for several days before fishing but once you start fishing only bait very lightly. Be lucky.

N

NEIL FISHER 2

thanks alot keith i will give that a go and see whats happens.thanks again