The Half Way Rule.

• Thread starter BAZ (Angel of the North)
  • Start date
B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Although I am asking this question on the Carp forum, the same could be asked on the coarse section.

Imagine a lake 100 yds wide.
If the rule stated that there is no casting more than half way, should this rule still be enforced even if there was nobody on the opposite bank to you?

What are your opinions on this?

T

The Monk

not really viable Baz, what if you wanted to cast under the trees on the opposite bank were there is no swims, then again many waters have channels, it would be inpractical to fish half way across some of them, and how could you enforce a rule like that anyway, send divers in? what happens it your fish you hook does a runner to the other side of the lake, do you ban the fish

Matty C

Reaction score
I always thought it was an unwritten rule.. if you have a swim opposite you, you dont cast into that swim.. you wouldnt like it if they canst into your swim.. When standing at a peg on a lake, everyone I assume considers the water that it covers, taking note of the swims to the left and right and the opposite bank..

If the swim to the left or the right, or opposite your swim is empty, then use the water to full effect.. if someone then moves into it, reel in and use your own water.. its only fair really.

T

The Monk

its civil courtesy of course and good manners, rukles should be based on practicalities and common sense, of course not all rules are based on this because some of the people who push rules through are not really noted for their academic stealth

F

Frothey

its civil courtesy of course and good manners, rules should be based on practicalities and common sense

when's any of that applied to carp angling!

W

Wolfman Woody

Surely you cast to where the fish are?

If the fish are all in one chap's swim then you all cast there, don't you?

Keith Moors

Reaction score
Woody that sounds like typical carp angler etiquette. I have a feeling that if the swim holding all the fish was mine, because i had baited it correctly and attracted them, and then everyone started casting into it, it could result in a few more problems to be sorted out around the lake........broken rods and noses spring to mind.

T

The Monk

when's any of that applied to carp angling!

Who mentioned carp angling?? Frothy?

Julian Barber

Reaction score
This is where the new AT Stealth Sub comes into play. Fish everybodies swim without them knowing ;)

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Monk.
In answer to your first question, You ask, what if you wanted to cast under the trees on the opposite bank were there is no swims?

I am assuming that you mean there are no swims on either side of the trees where you want to cast to.

But there will be swims somewhere on that far bank, where anglers on that same side could cast fairly close to, even though they could not get under the trees. You would still be fishing in the other anglers area.
<u>
Your second.</u>
It would be enforced by the bailiffs discretion.

As for a fish doing a runner to the opposite side, that is fair game.

Matty.
In a perfect situation yours would be the ideal solution. But alas, yours is only for the followers of the likes of Enid Blyton.

Kieth.
Typical gorilla tactics for the non thinking angler I'm afraid. And this is where somebody like me steps in.

You all want to do what you think is right. It has been shown on this thread already that none of you are capable of reaching a solution that suits everybody. So again the decision has to be made for you.

This is my take on it-:
The half way rule should be enforced whether you are the only person on the lake or not. Take the old addage, give em an inch and they'll take a yard. Before you know where you are, people are making their own rules up, and this simply can not be allowed.

Let's have none of this ah but, yeah but, no but bank side philosophy. There are plenty more reasons why the half way rule should be adhered to at all times. One of them being intimidation to a fellow angler. It is quite simple really if you are on the wrong side of the lake, then simply move swims. If the other side of the lake is already full of anglers, then tough, get your ar$es in gear a lot earlier in the day.

Will Smith

Reaction score
What if?

I have permission to fish a certain stretch of river.The peg i would like to fish is a jungle and cannot be accessed from my side. The other bank is a public space open to every one who can sit on the bank and do what they want. Anglers are charged to fish on a day ticket.I set up in the public park and cast to the side that i have a permit to fish.Along comes mr angry knowitall bailiff and demans his 3?. Do i pay?

T

The Monk

But there will be swims somewhere on that far bank, where anglers on that same side could cast fairly close to, even though they could not get under the trees. You would still be fishing in the other anglers area.

on some waters there isnt Baz, but I know what you are saying of course.

Of course on a river you could be trotting onto the opposite side of the riverbed, the river current wouldnt understand the half way rule

Will Smith

Reaction score
No it,s impossible to get at the area it,s dense jungle for5 miles up and downstream its private land i,m the only one with permission to fish. Why should i have to pay.?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Because the fish don't belong to you that's why.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I have always thought that the first guy in the swim had the shout, and why bother sitting opposite someone then trying to cast to the other side.

Just walk round kick him out the swim and drop your bait under your rod tip.

If you and the angler opposite can't work it out between you then there will be trouble, common sence guy's.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

That's just it Ray. When a fish, usually a Carp shows its self, common sense goes out of the window. I have seen it happen too many times. The catch at all costs mentality comes into play.

How can it be right that one person can shout to another person on the opposite bank, Oi! your'e in my swim.

Sorry but the half way rule MUST stay at all times.

F

Frothey

i pay my money, i've got just as much right to that fish as anyone else.