braid or mono for spodding

Specihunter

Reaction score
which is better for spodding and which breaking strainwould be best for long cast

Matty C

Reaction score
I dunno if this is right or wrong, but I got 15lb mainline mono with a 40lb shock leader..making sure there are still a few coils of the leader around the spool just before cast, ensures the leader takes the strain of the cast, and the 15lb mono is easy to cast with a small diamiter..

Ive also read that if you use braid, it can sometimes slice through your finger on the cast, where as mono doesnt do this..

hope this helps,..
Matt

Specihunter

Reaction score
cheers i did have mono on before and its seems easier to cast and cheeper

T

Terry D

Mono, braid is far too thin and will cut through you finger stall more easily. 40lb shockleader may be too light as well.

B

Bully

I have 8lb mono, even smaller diameter, with a shock leader (40lb is more than enough!!).

Why have 15lb when all you need it for is to wind in an empty spod?

This was guidance provided by the "Rik Man"

Keith Moors

Reaction score
I use 40 lb braid straight through which casts like a dream and with the clutch of the reel fully tightened it wont cut into your fingers, even without a finger stool. The big problem with casting cuts is that people forget to fully tighten the clutch before casting and then the spool slips as the pressure is put on and the line slides across your finger like a cheese wire.

B

Bully

I think the question is Keith why use expensive braid at 40lb at all? Its just not required really and will not cast any better that 8/10/12lb mono...which is far far cheaper.

W

Wolfman Woody

I used braid (Fireline) but found the line clip shredded it and even tried it with some power gum in the clip cushion it. I gave up and now just use 15lbs ESP mono line straight through. never had a break off and never had any line cutting into my fingers, but then I've not been trying to launch the spod at the moon.

I can easily get 80 yards with this, but I may have to revise my thinking if I want to go over it. The reason for 15lbs straight through is that I can also use the reel on a spare rod too. The other spool has braid still, but this is now reserved for the marker and feature finding where you feel the lumps and bumps better.

B

Big Rik

my advice to Bully for the light mainline, was because he didn't want to shell out for braid.

I use braid on my spod rod, don't know why, always have, probably because my spod and marker reels are the same so I loaded them both up the same so they're interchangeable.

E

Evan

I suppose if you use a long enough and hefty enough mono leader you can always attach it to the braid for spodding purposes then untie it / cut it off and put it away until needed again; in the meantime using the braid on the reel as a straightforward reel line ?

W

Wolfman Woody

We also have a rule banning fishing with braid. That's why I use it for the marker occasionally, but I now know where all the features are so I leave the mono on the reel for spodding and fishing.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
With braid you dont need a shock leader.

That is an extra cost which could go towards the braid. Braid will out last mono, so in the long run braid is cheaper.

Look out for the Braids that are made for spodding. and marker float.

Keith Moors

Reaction score
I totally agree with you Ray and if you are spodding at 100 yds ish the stretch on mono even when you are clipped up can give you a ten yard stretch (or bounce back). Braid does the job for me and means that i don't have to worry about renewing it too often.

Specihunter

Reaction score
cheers for all that . i have read that some carpers use 8lb with shockleader to go for distance .and my casting sucks

F

Frothey

i'd still rather use 20lb braid with a leader than 40lb straight through. no matter how far you can cast with 40lb, you'll go further with 20.

the lack of stretch makes a crack off more likely - if you are hitting long ranges, is a 40lb leader really adequate with a 6oz spod?

B

Bully

It cannot suck as bad as mine speci!

Oi Rik - r u calling me tight? Anyway, it was you saying why spend all that money on braid.......

E

Evan

I simply wouldn't try and use a heavy weight or spod on braid with no leader, just too dangerous for words IMHO.... one crack off too many in the wrong direction and someone gets seriously hurt. Not acceptable, definitely a hefty leader for me. The weight of the trailing line hardly matters, its just for hauling the empty spod back, so even 8 lb braid the same thickness as 1 lb mono will do the job, but I wouldn't dream of using it unless with a mono shock leader. The Sea boys have been chucking longer and harder than anyone and if they think they are necessary then that's more than good enough for me.

F

Frothey

wouldnt want to keep hitting the clip with 8lb diameter braid....