mono v braid

carpman

Reaction score
hi all i would like sum views on line i have mono on my reels at the moment but i like to start using braid but what's is the diffrents between them.
As i never have used braid is that right that you can feel more line bites with braid than mono and which is a good braid to buy for your money.
i will be fishing carp up to 40lb plus

many thanks for any help you can give

jay

sam vimes

Reaction score
I use braid a fair bit when big river barbelling. However, I've no inclination whatsoever to use it when carping. What advantage do you think it will bring for your carping?

As I see it the possible advantages would be extra distance on the cast due to the finer diameter for a given breaking strain. More direct contact and, possibly, better bite indication.

Disadvantages would include having to use much higher breaking strains than you would normally to minimize crack offs and abrasion damage. Most braids don't sink so slack lining may well be out. Expense, huge compared to mono and even Fluro. More direct contact coupled with unforgiving high TC rods can mean lost fish if you aren't careful. Mono is much more forgiving. Finally, many fisheries ban the use of braid as a mainline.

carpman

Reaction score
That's great m8 thanks alot just 1? Why do so many of the top fishermen use it then on tv and DVDs braid i mean.

sam vimes

Reaction score
That's great m8 thanks alot just 1? Why do so many of the top fishermen use it then on tv and DVDs braid i mean.

Distance casting and that, in many instances, they are on private fisheries where they make the rules. Also consider that many of the anglers using it in DVDs and on TV aren't having to dip their hands into their own pockets for a line that could easily cost at least three times as much as a mono.
If you have access to waters that allow it then give it a go if you want, just be aware of some of the negatives. In the case of braid generally floating, make sure you get a genuine sinking braid if your method of fishing requires it.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I use braid (power pro) for lure fishing/spinning and for bottoms. I'd never use braid as a mainline when river fishing (especially rocky rivers).

barbelboi

Reaction score
I use braid (power pro) for lure fishing/spinning and for bottoms. I'd never use braid as a mainline when river fishing (especially rocky rivers).

I'm with you there tigger, and you Sam in respect of carp fishing - can't see the point for carp unless you want to cast out of sight in a weedy environment and then you'd probably be using a 'stiff poker' to get the distance and be severely compromised on playing the fish to the net.
Jerry

terry m

Reaction score
Ditto for me. Braid is great for lure fishing, but for carp fishing I prefer to have the familiarity of some stretch in the line.

If I was fishing extreme distances, then I may consider it but otherwise Iam happy with mono.

carpman

Reaction score
Well thanks 2 all I think I'll stick with the mono

Many thanks carpman.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Anyone know why they ban braid at some fisheries?

IMO even when playing fish carefully just a little too much pressure could cause terrible mouth damage. Also It takes a lot longer to rot than mono so any crack off's are going to remain a problem far longer.
Jerry

sam vimes

Reaction score
IMO even when playing fish carefully just a little too much pressure could cause terrible mouth damage. Also It takes a lot longer to rot than mono so any crack off's are going to remain a problem far longer.
Jerry

I don't believe that it's got anything whatsoever to do with either of those reasons. I'm also less than convinced that the mouth damage is a vilid reason at all. Just look at where you see the greatest amount of fish with mouth damage, commercials that don't allow barbed hooks, braid is either banned or rarely used and you never see out and out carp tactics and gear used anyway.
I understand that the usual excuses trotted out for not allowing braid as a mainline is given as fish damage as a result of the cheesewire effect that a very fine braid can undoubtedly have (people don't use finger stalls for no reason). Whether that's a valid reason is also a moot point. Another is that many use braid that's got a way higher breaking strain than the more commonly used monos. When you've got a braid mainline in the order of 20-30lb coupled with a hooklength of 20lb+, tethering is even more likely than it is with monos in the 10-15lb region.

Last edited:

Morespiders

Reaction score
lol

You`re on form today Jerry :D
Thats why he's not a member of PaSC Mouse, you can join if you want though, annual fish in on Dam Flask every year for about 30 big trophies, and all the port and stilton you can eat, great day out.
Boi, your not invited

barbelboi

Reaction score
Thats why he's not a member of PaSC Mouse, you can join if you want though, annual fish in on Dam Flask every year for about 30 big trophies, and all the port and stilton you can eat, great day out.
Boi, your not invited

Evening Spiders, catch you at Gt Missenden next time - your round
barbelboi-albums-a2-picture2845-smiley-eatdrink009.gif

Jerry

mol

Reaction score
I understand that the usual excuses trotted out for not allowing braid as a mainline is given as fish damage as a result of the cheesewire effect that a very fine braid can undoubtedly have (people don't use finger stalls for no reason).

Thats IMO is the primary reason. If uncovered braid loops rounds fins during the fight it can be very nasty.

IMO braid only really out competes mono or flouro at extreme range for carp fishing, I'm talking 150m+.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Thats IMO is the primary reason. If uncovered braid loops rounds fins during the fight it can be very nasty.

But why anyone would use mainline braid without either a good length of rig tube or a leader along the lines of Amnesia, is a complete mystery to me.:confused: