Cleaning a tent

Andyw

Reaction score
First I apologise if I've put this in the wrong forum...

I have a small 2 man tent I use for my fishing trips... Like a plum I didn't hang it out to dry after my last trip and its positively minging now...

Any advice on cleaning it? Can I bung it in the washing machine or does it need a specific method??

Cheers in advance

Andy

E

EC

Assuming you've lost the instructions, give the manufacturer a call. But sticking it up in the garden to air out for a few days will help.

If its the interior get a fabric spray, for the outside, dont be a tart, its a fishing tent, muddy means you're dead good at fishing, squeaky clean means you're plopsies!

Andyw

Reaction score
Ha ha I might hang up some Glade plugins around the tent.. some vases of flowers and a nice "Welcome" doormat!!

E

EC

Welcome doormate? Oi, I was trying to help, don't be thinking of inviting me over or getting any other funny ideas!

Airman

Reaction score
I'd be very wary about bunging it in the washing machine. If it's got any kind of waterproofing treatment, this would most likely destroy it.

Is it mouldy, or just smelly? If it's the latter, then airing it should be fine. If it's mouldy, then you're better off contacting the manufacture to get advice on cleaning it.

Leaving it mouldy or covered in dirt/mud won't do it any good in the long run. It certainly won't make you a better fisherman despite some claims to the contrary! ;-) It will, however, cause permanent damage to your wallet when you have to go out and buy a new tent... :)

Andyw

Reaction score
Hiya

I've put it up in the garden and used some antibacterial cleaner on it.... Yeah there is some mould on it... though not alot...

Its not a valuable tent, a Tesco cheapie to be honest... But due to financial restraints... I can't really afford to replace it at the moment...

Thanks for the advice

Andy

Wayne Bradford

Reaction score
get the hose pipe out with onr of them flash spray things and fill it with fabreeze and scented iron water and give it a blast works a treat

or even better get the missus or the kids to do it entertain them and u get somthin out of it

Andyw

Reaction score
I've had it out in the garden most of the day now...

Been sprayed with the anti bac stuff... some Detol spray and i've scrubbed the inside with some warm soapy water.... gonna leave it up for a while...

cheers all

Paul C

Reaction score
Mould is a living organism, so you have to kill it before the cleaner can break it down.
To remove mould or mildew, make a 5% solution of hydrogen peroxide. (125ml in 5 litres of water.) Sponge the solution on and, when the mould is gone, rinse off and wash the tent as below.

Tents are best cleaned when pitched. Never machine wash or tumble dry your tent and don?t use detergents.

Add some pure soap to a bucket of water until foamy and sponge all over the tent. Rinse off before applying a proofer.

S

Steve King

I've had mould on a tent before now. It is fairly easy to deal with.

Put the tent up and wash with plain water. Allow to dry. Then rub the tent with surgical spirit and leave it to dry off/evaporate.

When I did this it did not affect the waterproofing.

Andyw

Reaction score
i got it reasonably clean.. quite pleased...

i wanna waterproof it a bit better... any suggestions??

like i said its not an expensive tent .... far from it in fact

TIA

Andy

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Is that what you've got Rik ??

:)

(and you got clubcard points too)