Lamprey- A Hidden Cost?

Reaction score
Lamprey have always fascinated me and I have been lucky enough to witness them at close quarters a number of times in the Teme valley. About five years ago I was fishing in a secluded spot and one swam straight to my feet across the river with its head out of the water like a snake.

It's the closest I've ever seen one outside of a packet of deadbait, and it was a fascinating encounter. That mouth is straight out of an HR Giger book!

Anyway, I digress...

I have always been slightly concerned about how the trade obtain this fish and given the rise in its popularity as a deadbait and now a renaissance as THE killer barbel bait, I thought I'd voice my concerns.

From the small bit of research I have done on the internet most species native to the UK seem to be endangered?

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

I have a feeling ****ie....and it is only that.....that the bolies are based on "chemical lamprey"?

I first used Lamprey larvae as bait about 28years ago...it is a terrific bait, but nowadays i don't know if we can use it or not.

I have to admit i had similar thoughts to yours.

Chevin

Reaction score
As Brummie says, lamprey larvae are a fantastic bait! I used to view them and soft crayfish almost as chub on the bank! However since it is over 30 years ago that I last used them on the Great Ouse I have no idea regarding their availability these days.

Reaction score
Not sure if they are farmed or not Pikey, that is part of my question I suppose.

Given their unusual feeding habits though I would have thought that would be quite difficult?

If they are not farmed I may have to reconsider their use in my own fishing.

I hope these new boilies are 'chemical lamprey' Paul,they seem to be doing the biz for a number of anglers and I'd like to give them a go but not until I know a bit more...

S

Sean Meeghan

Nope. They are netted in their thousands when they come into fresh water to spawn.

R

Richard Bartlett

Sadly, & as Sean points out, lamprey are often netted whilst on the spawning redds, where they can gather in the hundreds or thousands.
The linked video will give you an indication of how quickly you could fill a freezer, were you so inclined.
I see sights like this reasonably frequently in spring & they are totally oblivious to my presence.

The opening panning shot shows how the lamprey have cleaned the gravel bed - one sure way of spotting spawning areas.

NOTE - HEALTH WARNING!!!!
This video is 35mb, so broadband only :)

Lamprey

And no, despite being sorely tempted, I didn't net any out :)

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
The hidden cost indeed then, I shall think twice before buying a packet of frozen lamprey again.

I'm guilty of using fishmeal based baits though as well which I suppose many of us are.

Its funny how these types of issue are brought to the fore every once in a while but then quickly forgotten again. Not that I'm professing my innocence, it is very easy to put the environmental costs of these practices to the back of your mind when halibut pellets and lamprey sections are catching you good fish.

Reaction score
Any bait manufacturers out there prepared to state whether the new lamprey pellets and boilies are 'real' or 'imitation' lamprey?

And if they are 'real' any comments on how sustainable such exploitation would be?

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

A very good question ****y.......and will anglers who are pushing the bait carry on doing so?

stuart clough

Reaction score
There are some real problems with trying to work out what a sustainable level of exploitation would be for lampreys. The main issue being that unlike salmon, river lampreys do not neccesarily home to their natal river to spawn. Consequently, you may be able to find out how many are caught, but it is difficult to put this into context, in terms of the size of the population.

Reaction score
It's mad isn't it, we spend a fortune on fish welfare with unhooking mats, fish-friendly nets and products like Kryston's Klinik but the lack of info on subjects like this is staggering.

As far as I can tell, from what little I have found on the web, lamprey are endangered and until I get the facts, they are off my bait menu.

Somebody must know the answer to this one?

Born Again Fisher

Reaction score
I am lead to believe the Teme Severn lamprey flavour is chemically based - not sure if they used lamprey as part of the r&d process but the current production of the commercial bait is based around a chemically similar flavour to sea lamprey.

Reaction score
Thanks Graham,

That's useful info...

Lamprey products seem to be doing well for barbel up and down the country and I am keen to give them a go but not until I know what the environmental cost is.

stuart clough

Reaction score
"Is that reason enough to assume that the current catch rate and demand is not damaging?"

No!

(Not suggesting you are Stuart) - good ;>)

"A lack of evidence isn't or shouldn't be carte blanche surely?"

Absolutely. In fact, the normal approach in these situations is precautionary. Until we can quantify the impact, the normal approach is to err on the side of caution.

Reaction score
There must be bait manufacturers out there with their finger on the pulse of environmental expediency and public opinion who can answer some of these points?

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Another serious question......if a bait is manufactured with a chemical "impression" of a natural food item, who decides that chemical X or Y tastes like lamprey or gives off the signal to a wild creature that it is lamprey?

Or does the base mix of time proven fish feed stimulators really do the trick and the "label" just up the price and catch more anglers than fish?

So many questions!