Successful Nights prep

caesarson

Reaction score
Just made up 3KG of crushed hump (first time, always bought it in the past). Dried out and bagged for future sessions. 3KG of hemp (24 hours soaked) bagged and now in the freezer for future sessions. 1KG of Tiger nuts (24 hours soaked), in a tub covered in nut oil. 5KG of white tesco value bread. Liquidished and bagged and frozen. Half mixed in with pure fish meal. The other half will be mixed with whatever I decided the night before the session.

3 rods made up, float and 2 feeders with new rigs. 2x pike rods set up. Making this year the year of lot’s and lot’s of fishing.

maceo

Reaction score
Was the cruched hemp pre-cooked or did you cook it yourself? I heard that stuff stinks when you're cooking it - is that true?

Where did you buy 6kg of hemp seed? Is it expensive?

You say you dried it out and bagged it, so how long will that last? Will you mix it up with something when you use it or use it dry?

I use the tinned stuff, but it's quite expensive so I might have a go sometime at doing my own. I'll be interested to know how you use it and eventually the most important thing - if it works as well as the tinned variety!

caesarson

Reaction score
It's mainly bagged up for all future sessions. But I'm going to get up first thing tomorrow and have a go down the swale tomorrow.

dangermouse

Reaction score
I use the tinned stuff, but it's quite expensive so I might have a go sometime at doing my own.

Check out B&M closer to summer. Last year they were selling cooked hemp in 1kg bags for £1.99. Not as cheap as buying it uncooked but probably cheaper than buying it in a tin.

sam vimes

Reaction score
It's mainly bagged up for all future sessions. But I'm going to get up first thing tomorrow and have a go down the swale tomorrow.

With a forecast of minus numbers overnight, the river looks a good bet.
Looks like I'll have to wait until Tuesday or Wednesday.

caesarson

Reaction score
First time doing crushed hemp. Thou I have always bought hemp seed in bulk and prepared it myself. Either using it whole seed or running it through a blender to make carp porrige (which i find excellent bait when pole fishing the summer months).

Did a little reading this week. Raw hemp seeds in the oven for 30 mins. Felt cooked after 30mins. No smell from cooking them this way. Let them cool for 10 mins and crushed the first handful in a petal and mortar. Worked a treat, the smell was lovely. Made me want some nuts. After this, the blender was out and in went a handful (I must stress our house has been redecorated that many times. I have all of the old blenders/grinders for fishing). This worked as well. Making some nice fine power if left long enough. Using the heat left over from cooking the seeds. All of the crushed hemp was placed back onto baking trays and back into the oven with the fan on (heat off) and a wooden spoon jammed in the door to keep it a jar (I saw a program showing beef jerky being dried out like this years ago).

No idea how long it will last. But shop bought (Sensas etc) seemed to keep in my keepnet bag for months. So would imagine this stuff should. I can always freeze it if the hemp looks like it's turning.

Normal hemp. After soaking for 24 hours in some water ( I always put a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda and teaspoon of salt ). The hemp should now all sink and be split. Just simmer for 20/30 mins and thats it. But it does stink. Best to have the window or door open while simmering. There are other ways (in a flask with boiling water, etc) But I like to make a lot in one go and separate it all out into sandwich bags and pop them in the freezer. That way a night before a session. I just whip a bag out of the freezer.

I buy the raw seeds from Jollyes Pet Superstore |?Jollyes store. £2.39 a KG.

I have used many shop bought stuff over the years, especially Dynamite Baits range. Even thou I have always caught, the smells coming of your own prepared bait is far superior to “off the shelf goods”

---------- Post added at 15:57 ---------- Previous post was at 15:53 ----------

With a forecast of minus numbers overnight, the river looks a good bet.
Looks like I'll have to wait until Tuesday or Wednesday.

Telling me, went out at 9:30 and the dashboard already said -1. Should mean the river will be at normal water levels which is good. Hopefully will get a chub as last week I only had trout and greyling.