Pitsford Res.

Davey boy (ACA)

Reaction score
Hi all.
Planning a session tomorrow (Sat), Haven't been for a few weeks due to weather ect.
Just wondering if anyone has some upto date advice on how its been fishing, best areas, which flies are working? Its still my first season fly fishing, and although I'm getting the hang of casting and handling the tackle, there still seems so much to take in - particulaly as the season develops, and fish behavior changes.
I'm aiming to bank fish for now, although I'm told this gets less productive this time of year? Any help much appreciated.

C

Colin North, the one and only

I don't know Pitsford, but a team of buzzers works in most places, most times of the year. Might also try some CDC emerger type patterns, or later in the day/towards evening a dry fly, possibly something sedgie or a black gnat.

M

MarkTheSpark

How'd you get on Dave? I fished Rutland last night and it was really hard - a fry feeder herding livers around and slashing at them, but very few fish moving and even my team of buzzers failed to get any interest.

Regards future trips, try THIS start page for all the anglian water ressies, and if the report's a bit old, call the tackle shops - don't call at peak times such as 8 until 10am or you'll get a brief reply....

If it's Grafham Water or Rutland, try the fly fishing club web pages for new

Davey boy (ACA)

Reaction score
Thanks guys

Very difficult yesterday. Fished for a few hours in the afternoon, but struggled for consistant casting in the strong winds. Tried a few places, alternating between small nymphs (as recomended in the lodge) and buzzers, and only seen one fish show - out of range unfortunatly. From what I could see the other anglers faired little better while I was there.
Hopfully get down for a few hours after work on tuesday evening, I'll let you know how I get on.

M

MarkTheSpark

I don't know whether you have any smaller waters nearby, Dave, but I'd have to recommend you get your confidence brimming on something a bit less daunting.

Don't get me wrong; I love the big ressies, but it was 16 visits to Rutland before I caught my first fish.... then I had a limit!

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Spent a couple of hours there this afternoon, and most people I spoke to said the fishing had been hard recently.
Bank fishing was difficult, due to the strong winds. Although I managed one nice rainbow around 3lbs (It'll be on the smoker for tomorrows lunch!) which took a small buzzer on a very slow retrieve.
The margins around the "pines" were alive with fry, so lures and larger flies with a bit of flash may start coming into play.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Fished for about 45mins at first light this morning, managed three nice fish up to 3.5lbs. Lots of activity close in on the Brixworth bank, a total contrast to yesterday afternoon when I did'nt see a fish in five hours! Its a funny place.

I'm averaging one fish every two visits which I'm pleased with as I only started fly fishing in may.

Off the chew valley at the weekend, should be an experience!