Chub spawning ?

F

Fred Bonney

Fished the Trent overnight, and found that the chub have recentlyt returned to feed.After being somewhat thin on the ground since start day.

Some of the bigger fish I caught, were hollow and their anal vent was somewhat distended.I also had the smallest of my catch,about 3lb,shed milt down my boot.

Any signs of late spawning on your rivers?

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

I was catching chub on the Lugg and Wye a couple of weeks back and they looked and felt spawned out.

Incedendly, has anyone noticed their chub are getting bigger?.......they certainly seem to be on mine.

F

Fred Bonney

Yes bigger, but not heavier???

By that, I mean, they look like they should be heavier.

Matty C

Reaction score
I dunno if it was just luck of the draw.. but Ive been fishing a chub swim on my river for a few years, the biggest firstly went to 4lb dead that I had. a season later, there were a good number over 4lb, to 4lb 15, and on the first day of this season, two 5lb'ers came out.. new fish to the swim I dont know.. could be the same fish, but bigger..

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Strange you should say that Fred.....i was talking to someone else about exactly the same thing.

The stretch of Wye that runs past my caravan def has heavier chub now than 3yrs ago.......to 5.10 this year.

But we were also saying that some of them "looked" heavier than they were.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Yes Paul your are right about the Wye chub, I landed a chub that looked all of 5lb plus both under the rod tip and in the net last year above Ross, I weighed it and it turned out to be 3lb 12oz, I couldn't believe it but scales don't lie.

captain carrott

Reaction score
but surely you aren't suggesting that fish are spawning outside the closed season fred for that would make a closed season pointless wouldn't it.

;)

E

Evan

I would hazard a guess that infestation with Crays = Bigger Chub.

The problem may well be in five or six years time when the last couple of years class of fish fail to come through, all of their eggs having been eaten by said Crays.

That said in the swim Matty C refers to there are an enormous amount of small newly hatched fry around, despite gross Cray infestation. So some eggs must have survived. Maybe Crays aren't quite as devastating as they're made out to be ?

Has there / is there a corresponding diminution in predator species and sizes ?

Certainly not when it comes to Perch, that population is now extremely healthy round hereabouts....

F

Fred Bonney

You know what Jason,I was waiting for the first post to bring it up.

No obvious signs of cray's in the Trent!

E

Evan

Why the sarky comment ? What did I say that has anything to do with the Trent ?

I was replying to Paul (B) W's question,

"...has anyone noticed their chub are getting bigger?......."

which is not Trent specific.

I don't live by the Trent, fish in the Trent or know bugger all about it and I don't pretend to knowledge I don't have (or think that I have, I am as prone to error as anyone else).

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I think Fred was on about the closed season Evan and just commenting that there are no crays on the Trent.

Could it be they've spawned late because of the floods Fred?

(have you got my E-mails Fred? I keep getting them bounced back?)

captain carrott

Reaction score
or to look at it another way, why is it ok to fish for them now and they are spawning, because it's july , but it wasn't ok to fish for them in may when they probably weren't due to the attrocious weather.

because surely if the fish were going to die because you fished for them while they were spawning in may, then they will also die because you fish for them while they are spawning in july.

or is it that they don't benefit from a closed season at all.

ahh don't you just love the hypocrisy of the closed season on rivers.

Matty C

Reaction score
I dunno about anyone else, but the close season in my eyes isnt about fish spawning any more. Theres no benefit for the fish because most years, there are still species spawning well after june 16th.

The close season to me means one thing. June 16th.
No close season = No magical crisp spring dawn on that first day you hurry across dew dampened fields, grey and green with mist and tall grass before settling into a favourite swim, on your favourite river, for the first time in three months.. Theres nothing quite like it and that, to me, is what the close season is all about.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Matty, please don't start Jason off again!

I agree with you, but this is Freds thread about chub.

Start another closed season thread Jace ;-)

Matty C

Reaction score
I agree with him though steve.. its pointless in as much as fish welfare goes.. but the magic of june 16th is why it should remain.. and tradition

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Did,nt think this thread was about the close season, have'nt we covered that subject enough at the moment.

Fred,

I have been fishing a new venue this season its a lake, but the fish there are still spawning without doubt.
Nobody has caught much the odd Tench and Carp the two main species, bream, roach etc seem to have spawned.

I can only think it is down to the weather not being stable, i have heard the same on two other waters.

F

Fred Bonney

Evan,touchy touchy,my comment <u>was</u> to Carrot.
I just knew somebody would bring up the same old ,same old, and two did!!!!
Anyway,the close season was never about, fish spawning.
As for your location,I was merely responding,no crays in the Trent.

Steve not received your emails,are you sending them through FM?
Send them to my btinternet one.

My guess is, that they have held back spawning through the bad May/June, and are now getting the right conditions, as the floods receed.

F

Fred Bonney

I think it also makes a point,from my experience anyway,that fish physicaly spawning, will not show any interest in anglers baits or,come to that feeding.