the polaris float

nicky

Reaction score
I've looked at the polaris floats for years in the tackle shop and thought that one day i would probably try one but always thought they wouldnt be that sensitive, i also noticed the mixed reviews about them in the forum.

Well i used one today for the first time in a pond on top of the moors which is some kind of old excavation and is about twenty foot deep, due to the nature of the place i thought it would be the perfect place to try one out especailly as i had my first blank of the year there a couple of weeks ago on the feeder.

I used the bodied waggler without the insert which i think is the heaviest in the range, well what a surprise i caught 1 to 2 Oz perch and gudgeon all day long and i just couldn't get over how sensitive it was, even the gudegon were giving really positive bites.

To anyone who have yet to give them a go and have deep water to fish i would whole heartedly recommend them.

By the way i fished it with a paternoster which i think is the key to it's sensitivity

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Couldn't agree more Nicky. Big and bulky but oh so sensitive.

nicky

Reaction score
I've also read that they aren't that good in windy conditions , well it was blowing a gale where i was fishing today and i didn't find any problems in coping with the wind

stikflote

Reaction score
i havent tried the polaris float, but ive got some lockslide floats do same job

fred hall

Reaction score
The one time I had success with a polaris float was when fishing a very rocky lake in Ireland. I had snagged up umpteen times on a straight feeder rig and tried the polaris more out of curiosity than anything else. For once the cunning plan worked!I think the float held the mainline up above the snags. However all other attempts have been noticeably less successful. I do think that the diagrams showing the polaris float directly above the feeder/lead are optimistic in the extreme. If you are fishing at any sort of range these floats drift IMHO.

Milo

Reaction score
I can't honestly remember how I came by my first Polaris float but, admittedly, I do now own quite a few thanks to eBay! I bought a selection of them (brand new in original packaging and far below RRP!) including one from Middy which allows for one of those snap-lights to be put in the tip for night illumination. The red tip pulls out, and the "light" put inside, and pushed back into the float, held in place with a rubber section.

Milo

Reaction score
That leads me onto my next thing; some of the Polaris float I have, I've no idea what weights/depths they're suited for because they're in "generic" Polaris packing and have no markings on them. They're mostly "spares" though, just in case I do lose one!

nicky

Reaction score
I should imagine that it would be difficult to hits bites at long distnce but for close to medium work in deep water i think they are brilliant, to get the kind of bites i was getting from gudgeon from this big clunky float at 15 - 20ft deep was quite amazing

E

Evan

I don't know, I've tried them and just don't get on with them, reverted to using convetional slider techniques.

Definitely no use at any distance IMHO - the effect of any surface drift or water movement, even on an almost calm still day, was enough to continually sink the float tip once a bow developed in the line. Closer in with less of a length of line to generate drag may work better but its the slider for me, every time.

nicky

Reaction score
I would love to learn to fish the slider correctly but for the life of me i cant stop the stop knots from moving when they hit the tip ring on the rod even if i put two knots back to back

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Tie two stop knots; and/or mark 'em with a marker pen, which will act as a weak glue (Baz's tip, I believe); and/or use cotton, which will shrink and tighten (Benny Ashurst's tip, I think).