Wire trace

Carpless

Reaction score
Just wondering if you need to have a wire trace when pike are expected. Heard of pike taking carp bait before... Fishing a new venue which has pike tomorrow and wanted to take the right precautions.

Reaction score
Hi Poult ,I take it that you are carp fishing tomorrow ,then wire trace is a no no ,wire trace will do untold damage to carp ,on the other hand most pike caught on carp baits are caught on pop ups ( something to do with the movement )and i say MOST not all , before someone shoots me down .
I think that the chance of a pike picking up your carp bait is fairly slim but can happen but it is better to leave a carp hook in a pike ,if in fact it hooks anyway as the pike has a very bony mouth ,which would work its way out in time rather than use wire for carp which could cut them up badly .

Reaction score
Poult , i have just had a look on the predator page and you have a posting about livebaiting ,it seems to me that you know very little about carp or pike fishing which is fair play , we all have to learn but i don`t think it is a good idea to go and fish for both carp and pike at the same time ,which to my mind is what you intend .
Stick to the carp for the time being , otherwise you could end up in a right old mess.
Team up with someone later in the year ( October time )who has done a lot of pikeing before and learn and enjoy .

Carpless

Reaction score
After reading the thing about dead baiting on the other forum i decided that if i can't live/dead bait i would just stick to carp. It was never my intention to do both. Admittidly not an experienced pike angler at all but have been carp fishing for just over 2 years now. Just never fished a carp venue that stocked pike aswell. Thought i'd give it a go but standing on a small pond with a lure in the rain hardly seemed my idea of pleasure. :)