Do Moving Fish Smell?

• Thread starter BAZ (Angel of the North)
  • Start date
B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Stood by the lake tonight having a chat with the lads. All of a sudden One of them said, the Bream are on the move, I can smell them.

True enough, every so often there was this very distinct smell of fish. It is something that I have noticed on a number of occasions, and the Bream were actively rolling.

Could it have been a coincidence? have you ever caught a whiff of fish when fishing a lake? or would it more likely to be floating/rotting weed etc?

Milo

Reaction score
Baz, you keep provoking me! I do sometimes think that maybe, a fish that's been hooked leaves some kind of marker in the water that warns off other fish. How likely's that!?

I'm thinking along the lines of pheromones (or rather the anti-'s of!).

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

It was odd mate, but the smell was deffinately there. And the Bream were rolling.

Milo

Reaction score
I still class myself largely as inexperienced, probably cos I'm in my very-late twenties now, and got into fishing in my mids! Sometimes, I just get a gut feeling it's going to be a good one!

T

The Monk

yes Baz, fish do smell when they are on the move, I once followed a fish truck down the M6 with my windows open and could smell the fish right down to Brummyland from Knutsford

(or maybe it was the slapper sat next to me)?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I knew this was too iffy a question to ask. (o

T

The Monk

On a more serious note Baz, smell as we know it travels differently under water, we cant smell under water (haha, although I`m sure I know some people who still do). It is however possible in theory at least, to beable to smell any residue which evaporates from the top of the water although I`m not sure human senses are that good? try putting a smelly dead fish in the bath, spray the room, allow to settle and then see if the fish smell can still be detected? The fish oils should rise and break the surface and in theory will evaporate with the particulate matter mixing with the air

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I have stood and watched a shoal of bream in a lake in Ireland that must be have been well into their many hundreds, I have also seen on more then one occasion up at Quatford in the sixties on a hot day, so many chub you could almost have walked across the river on their backs. On neither occasion could I smell anything other than the country air, are you sure it wasn't a Warrington chippie you could smell or were one or both of you a bit warm at the time?

T

The Monk

or was the Warrington and District Womens Jogging Team passing at the time Baz?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Hahahaa, I'm sure it was more likely to be floating weed that we could smell. But you never know. After all, we can definately smell rain or snow when it is on the way.

captain carrott

Reaction score
mate you can tell the sanitary standards of your friend and associates can't you.

smell of fish coming and going is it down to the fish moving or compost pete who's been on the water since april without having a wash.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Here is something else strange.

There are a couple of posts on the forum at the moment, which relate to extra sensory perception. You know the kind of thing that I mean? Like when something is about to happen, or more to the point in this thread, when you get this feeling that somebody is keeping something from you.

Only last week, I bought some new bait attractor, something which somebody had given me a sample of to try out. (and that?s all I?m saying bout it).
Also one of the lads gave me a secret rig to use and said don?t let this lot see it on here (the lake I am fishing).

So one evening last week I decided to fish out of the back of my car and try my new ?things? out.

As sure as a dog will follow a bitch in heat, or night follows day, or the Monk will follow the ladies jogging team, I was immediately surrounded by the ant heads. Luckily, I had taken the label off my bait attractor. And as I saw them closing in for the kill, I hid the new rig under a piece of old carpet.

They were running their antenna like fingers all over my car boot, searching and prodding for the tell tale sign of something new, and asking very searching questions. They didn?t get the answers they were searching for, but they came pretty close to it.

I am sure that they knew I had something hidden from them, but how did they know?
Was it my guilty conscience? Was I exuding bodily fluids which the ant heads locked onto the second that I came onto the lake?

They certainly knew something, of that there is no doubt. But How Did They Know?

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Not a digression,
In our business, plant nursery, the trade has a problem with Vine Weevil, the adult eating leaves, the grub eating the roots, BUT, out of a bed of perhaps 100 plants, they will only attack 2 or 3, research is now taking place to discover if the 'attacked' plants give off a signal to the other plants, which then 'set-up' a defense system.
There's an awful lot in nature we don't know or understand !!.

E

Evan

I don't think a live healthy fish smells much at all does it ? Certainly not very perceptibly, though I haven't as yet gone as far as sniffing my catch*.

I thought that what we consider to be a fishy smell is mainly the effect of decompositional bacteria on fish slime, making it and keepnets etc. pong, and also dead fish out of water, obviously.

Oh, and Smelts - the one fish I have sniffed at, as I read somewhere that they smell of cucumber and I was more than a wee bit sceptical. They do though. And I don't have to go back to that fishmongers again if I don't want to.

* later this afternoon hundreds of mildly odd middle aged men are observed to be by the river banks of Britain, sniffing fish.... EA and Police powerless.....

paul martin 7

Reaction score
BAZ (Angel of the North) E-mail member
Posted: 15/07/07 11:35:00 AM
Here is something else strange.

There are a couple of posts on the forum at the moment, which relate to extra sensory perception. You know the kind of thing that I mean? Like when something is about to happen, or more to the point in this thread, when you get this feeling that somebody is keeping something from you.

Only last week, I bought some new bait attractor, something which somebody had given me a sample of to try out. (and that?s all I?m saying bout it).
Also one of the lads gave me a secret rig to use and said don?t let this lot see it on here (the lake I am fishing).

So one evening last week I decided to fish out of the back of my car and try my new ?things? out.

As sure as a dog will follow a bitch in heat, or night follows day, or the Monk will follow the ladies jogging team, I was immediately surrounded by the ant heads. Luckily, I had taken the label off my bait attractor. And as I saw them closing in for the kill, I hid the new rig under a piece of old carpet.

They were running their antenna like fingers all over my car boot, searching and prodding for the tell tale sign of something new, and asking very searching questions. They didn?t get the answers they were searching for, but they came pretty close to it.

I am sure that they knew I had something hidden from them, but how did they know?
Was it my guilty conscience? Was I exuding bodily fluids which the ant heads locked onto the second that I came onto the lake?

They certainly knew something, of that there is no doubt. But How Did They Know?

I think you need to get out more mate!

captain carrott

Reaction score
"I think you need to get out more mate!"

the doctors won't let him go out at the moment.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Baz,
Sorry but now you know why nobody sits on the opposite bank to you, when the wind is blowing from behind you.

This attractor Baz, you sure it was'nt soap?.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

"Only last week, I bought some new bait attractor, something which somebody had given me a sample of to try out. (and that?s all I?m saying bout it).

They didn't give you a sample to try out if you bought it .....

Another Baz wind-up methinks ......

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Oh you silly little Choggy Ed.

Somebody gave me some of this attractor to try. Not much, just a little.

I then went and bought some more.