Angling Insurance

Pete Shears

Reaction score
If I were to acquire sole fishing rights on a strectch of a small river,would I require any form of insurance ? If the answer is yes, why ?

terry m

Reaction score
Tough to say without more information, but if you were seen as the controller of the venue and you then allowed others to use it then I think you would require third party indemnity as you would have a duty of care to the other users.

If you alone were going to use it then no.

caesarson

Reaction score
Get in contact with the EA. They should be able to give you all of the information needed.

paul80

Reaction score
You will probably require quite a large public liability insurance. Why because if someone's child dies on the stretch and some judge decides its your fault because you raid to do something you didn't know you should do you will need a huge insurance to cover the eventual costs.

Paul

Windy

Reaction score
You owe the common duty of humanity (not care) to anyone and everyone, even trespassers, and which cannot be excluded by contract or by putting up even the most draconian of warning signs.

That said cover for the CDH shouldn't be much.

You owe the common duty of care to your lawful invitees and visitors to the land. Again cover for that shouldn't be much.

You may (depending on the terms of the contract) owe additional contractual duties of care to your customers if you sell tickets / permits to fish which include the permission and right to enter on the land. That might be a wee bit more expensive but depends on what sort of fishing, where, on what terms and how much. How long string thing. Ask a broker.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
You might want to contact Jelf | Clarke Roxburgh on 0845 833 6560, ask to speak to a James Wainwright.

He may well recommend that you take out insurance as a commercial fishery owner, even though you're not. Depends on how you want to run it, but if you have mates who sell tickets or help you with the management of it, you could also need 'employer's liability' even if you don't pay them, they are still working for you.

This guy is a dead straight guy and you will get a honest answer from him and should you need it, a good competitive quote.

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Thanks for the help folks but I am still puzzled if I was the only person allowed to fish then why would I need insurance cover ? - anyone else would be trespassing,but I suppose the dumb dog walker who copped a leger/swimfeeder in the mush on the backcast might not see the common sense of it all.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I suppose the dumb dog walker who copped a leger/swimfeeder in the mush on the backcast might not see the common sense of it all.
Ah, well if you were a member of the Angling Trust you'd be automatically covered for up to £5,000,000 worth of public liability.

However, it's as Windy says (and I had this problem convincing a head teacher when I was a governer of a school years ago) even if someone is trespassing and they get hurt, you could still be held responsible. Daft as it is, that is the way Britain has become these days with the ambulance chasers.

There may be a get-out for you, not sure, but - is the land also rented to you or does it belong to someone else? Example, I rent a small stretch of fishing rights from one person, but the land I fish from is owned by the city council. Anyone having an accident on that land, falling over and breaking a leg, would sue the council and I am covered by my ATr PL £5m should I hook an old woman's ear whilst casting so problem solved, I think.

Do you intend selling tickets or letting mates use it? What about boats?

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Thanks Jeff - I don't even know at the minute if the owners,who have been discouraging anglers who hadn't realised the local club had given up the fishing rights,want to consider letting anyone else fishing there & I have no idea of cost at the moment.
I have heard rumours that it was an insurance issue which caused the club to let it go & preventing the owners from issuing their own day/season tickets - it might be the case that I would have to sell season tickets to cover costs & get the correct insurance cover,but it was the lone user scenario which I found puzzling - thanks to everyone who bothered posting replies.