Get Your Kids Fishing!

Fat Blerk

Reaction score
Jeff, Thanks for the article and photos. I took my two boys ( aged 7 and 2 ) to a local fishing shop at the weekend ( Priory Marina in Bedford ) and we managed to find a 4 metre Shakespeare kit that had a whip end and a elasticated pole end, just like you have in the top photo. Also in the kit was a pole float tied to line, shot and a hook. All for ?8. This must be the fishing bargain of the century. The hook was way too big, but it did make it easier to get out of the fish. We all went fishing that morning at the local river, the kids on the 4 metre pole and I set my rod up on the alarm. They caught about 25 bleak and dace and I caught a double figure Barbel. What a day, and it will stay with all of us for a long time.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

Well done on a great day Fats. Nice barbel and even better fun watching the kids catch bleak and dace.

Alan Campbell

Reaction score
Took my daughter for her first match on Saturday. She came joint 2nd with 1lb 8oz of roach perch and bleak all on a 3m whip. She also lost a good tench on the last put in!!
She absolutley loved it.

T

The Monk

I used to take mine while he was still in his pram, he stuck at it, has since fished all over the world, had articles publish and the SAA presently use his picture on their advert, his best carp is 38.5, one of 17 thirties hes now had

MarT

Reaction score
Great article Jeff.
I intend to get myself down to the the local water park on every Wednesday morning that I can manage during the kids summer holidays.The venue is there for them and a local tackle shop supplies tackle and bait... the only thing lacking is enough people to give them some tutoring and encouragement, and to tell you the truth I am looking forward to it myself.

dadondo

Reaction score
great article jeff ,i started my son fishing from the age of five and now he`s twenty and taking me to france for a weeks carpin in september.theres nothing like it seeing your son catch its awesome.

M

MarkTheSpark

Great, simple article, Jeff. I took my daughter when she was about 8, fishing a short pole to hand with some hefty elastic. It's one of two times she's fished and loved it. She went twice before teenagedom took a hold. Maybe one day she'll try again.

BTW, I'd like to nominate your lead picture as one of the best I've seen to illustrate the topic, ever. There's something other-wordly about the light, and it's just a cracking shot.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

Thank you Mark. That's me and my grandson in the picture. I set up the shot and my wife pressed the shutter. The pic has been tweaked in Photoshop but is mainly exactly as it was on the day.

davie

Reaction score
its certainley a great thing to do,,apart from the endless bird`s nest`s on the reel and the amount of tackle lost up tree`s etc..my son turned 16 last week and he loves going fishing. i took him when he was ten for the first time and now he goes off with a few pals and fishes quiet a lot. i for one would rather he did that than hang around street corners or whatever it is 16yr olds do these days.

T

The Monk

well monk what have you been doin wrong? lol. or is it that i`m just lucky

probabaly me mate doing something wrong, story of my life really.

When I used to take the lad and he was young, he was forever taking stuff out of my tackle box and losing it in the grass, as he got older he still took stuff out of my tackle box, but it finished up in his instead!

W

Wolfman Woody

It's a very picture indeed Graham.

URGENT NOTICE !!!

Starts this Saturday.

Take a friend fishing Campaign. 6 weeks where we aim to take 500,000 people who have either never fished or maybe just lapsed.

The website is working www.takeafriendfishing.co.uk

pcpaulh

Reaction score
I've got 3 of those forms Jeff and aim to take my cousin, and two half brothers at some point. Hopefully at least one may stick with it.

simon yorke-johnson

Reaction score
Have booked in to organise two fish ins for kids during national fishing week down here in sunny Sussex via the EA.
Should be fun!
All the kids will be using whips ~ the thought of rods and reels for 20 sends shivers down me spine!

Londonchris

Reaction score
Just started taking my 4yr old son with me.

We alternate whip fishing for him & lure fishing for me on our sessions as both at once can be abit of a handful!

He`s younger brother is waiting in the wings for his permission to join us /forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif, don`t want to even think of the carnage two of them at once would cause!

FH

Reaction score
My dad started taking me this year! I'm 13, and I can cast REALLY well! I started off with a rod, But my brother began with a whip.