Daiwa Infinity Rods 2004 2.75lb

Foxy

Reaction score
Has anyone got any of these rods? theres a set thats come up for a decent price and my poor esps need replacing.

2004 "model" 2.75lb test, any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Eddy Hoodless

Reaction score
Yep I concur great rods I have two 2.75's and a 3.00 test curves been useing them for ages . and to be honest have no intensions of a change...go for it if the price is right

Keith Moors

Reaction score
I had infinities when they first came out and for the first 18 months they were superb but gradually seemed to get softer and softer with use. I changed to ESP vertex and there's no way I would swap back.

Foxy

Reaction score
Thanks chaps, new the FM members would have an opinion!

Keith, the reason that im gettinh the infinitys is that i had a set of 3 x esp terry hearns, cracking rod but the tip has snapped off one rod and the other snapped on the cast the other day. Have talked to esp and they wont replace under warranty which i think stinks a bit as they are under a year old. so its infinitys all the way!

B

Big Rik

The problems with rods Foxy, is that they are very strong and flexible in one direction, but not sideways and won't take a knock.
Most manufacturers would believe that if it's been in use, then the breakage occured because of some impact to the sidewall, which they shouldn't replace.
If a rod has a defective wall, then it should show up before it leaves the factory, if not it will certainly show on the first real cast.

Keith Moors

Reaction score
Foxy. I can remember Peter Stone having a tench rod snap half way up the tip and it transpired that the cause had been simply that he had tapped a swan on the head to move it out of his swim. A sideways tap on tubular carbon creates stresses that they are not designed to withstand and a fracture is easily the outcome.
I hasten to add that I did manage to blow up one of the infinities whil casting.

Foxy

Reaction score
Rik / Keith, thanks.

As with most things in life, one discussion usually leadtimes on to another so i will give you the background........

Bought the rods from my local tackle shop (who is a good man), the rods had been there for about hmm 6-7 years? they are the original Terry Hearns with the thicker butt ring. So, i part exhanged these rods for my old diawa powermeshs + a few quid and bought another one through him to make a set of 3.

First dissapointment was the new rod had full SIcs all the way through so there was a slight mismatch (you know what its like, you want them all to match! tart i know)between the three rods. 5th time out on the bank, the rod slipped off the side of the bivvy as i was putting a new hook link on, and the top 3" snapped clean off as it hit the floor (woodland floor covered in leaves and soft mud) so i agree with Rik, sideways impact probaly caused this to snap.

Last weekend, cast out with another rod (the other old one)only a 2.5oz lead and a short cast of about 45ft and teh rod snapped clean in two about 3 inches above teh spigot ring. Not happy, and the only reason i can think of it snapping is maybe the age of the rod? i work in engineering and understand strains and stress` on metallic and composite parts but really cant understand why it snapped.

Anyway, spoke to ESP and they arent really interested so i am harranging the tackle shop to do something about it.

Problem is, its like buying a new car, its brand new to you but it may have been sat in the uk for a year before they put the plates on!!

Not a happy bunny, although i would add the new ESP rod is really, really good and ive had no problems at all with it