Weighed down with gear?

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Having done most of my fishing over the years with one rod and miminal tackle I can't help feeling I am missing something every time the buzzers and shelter comes out.I used to get a smell sometimes walking round the lake (bazs thread)but walking round the lake dosent happen so much with tonnes of gear does it.This applies to my river fishing also as the two rod syndrome has crept into that as well(how did that happen).What happened to just taking a flask and a packet of sausage rolls, why enough cooking gear to start a restaraunt.Any of you chaps feel the same are you going to need a sherpa soon to carry your gear as I will.
The point for me is with to much gear are you fishing effectivly asleep on your bedchair or should you be following the fish on the wind ,walking to the next pool on a river to see if it will produce if not walk again to the next glide.
Anybody else thinking of going back to basics as it is all getting to much.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

All the old die hards on here will tell you everyone to their own Gav.
The truth is it isn't everyone to their own, it's everyone play follow the leader, like a load of sheep.
They all refer to what somebody else has said because they are incapable of thinking for themselves anymore. And it's exactly the same with their fishing.

T

The Monk

you would struggle doing a 3 month session with one rod and the minimum of gear

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I only use 1 rod on one of the same waters that Gav goes on. I lost count of the amount of times that other anglers asked me why I was only using 1 rod with a quizzical look on their faces. But still I catch more than they do.

And they still can't work it out.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
I know some waters are different and some folks like to do long sessions and who am I to knock,but I always thought the campers were mad on most waters as they rarely catch anything and it always looked to me like a bit of a hassle and it is,enjoyable some times but not necesarily the best way to put fish in the bag on a day session.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I have a couple of short hours work to do to finish a small job off, and then I'm going fishing.
My choice of waters is to go where I know for certain that I'll have one or two out.

My other choice is to go somewhere where I know a blank is more than likely. And this is where I will be going. Now then, somebody tell me why I should go and do something like that?

F

Frothey

does amaze me when you see guys on day only lakes with barrows, bivvies, bedchairs, etc.

they look cool though......

T

The Monk

yes much more important to look cool than catch fish mate, you have to seriously consider your street cred up here, god forbid you should wear the wrong colour camo

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I have 'the taking of minimal gear to do the job' down to a fine art, gone are the days when everything went with me just in case but that was more through necessity rather than choice.

Its taken me a while to get to the point where I don't forget something important (tempting fate?) as I have been known to forget important things such as a landing net (remember Nigel?) on the Hants Avon and I once went on the Teme without anything to sit on but that wasn't a major problem even though it was wet under bum.

Look in most anglers gear and the majority of it could have safely been left in the garage.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

You had better mind you don't leave yourself in the garage then hadn't you?

E

Evan

I did the exercise of getting a second tackle box with a view to splitting my tackle into main equipment float v. main equipment ledger categories, so that in theory I would only need to take the one box.

What it actually means is that I now carry two tackle boxes instead of one. Not quite the desired intent when I started out on the project. :-( The road to hell + good intentions paving slabs thingy I fear.

Edit: Mind you, when I do try and sort out minimal tackle requirements from the back of the car Matty C has a go at me for 'faffing' and time wasting. Heaven knows why, with practice I can now sort out what I need in almost less than an hour and a quarter !

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Perhaps the fishery is slightly more challenging Baz.Maybe it is just a nicer place to be or maybe it holds some Lunking chunks worth waiting for and by learning to catch on more difficult waters it will stand you in good stead for the future.

E

EC

Bazza I can see the clouds in that direction which you are headed, looks ominous!

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Evan I know the feeling I bought a 120 litre rucksack for night sessions I now also carry numerous other bags because of tat.I now have a lead bag a bait bag a bag for bits and a bag for tits(me in my sleeping bag).

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
I've tried both extremes. In the past I've spent up to an hour lugging all my kit round a lake, sometimes it took 3 journeys.

I can't say I enjoyed the lugging at all.

Now I tend to use one rod and take the minimum of tackle. My box will be different each time, depening on what species I'm targetting.

I'm not suggesting this way is more effective, but I find it more enjoyable, that's good enough for me!

T

The Monk

horses for courses, if I do the longewr sessions its everything including the kitchen sink, short sessions minimum tackle, quick stalking session one rod and bum buddy

F

Frothey

i used to take something like 10lb of leads with me, all different shapes and sizes. i now take a couple of spares in a couple of sizes. can carry more bait that way!

T

The Monk

used to take something like 10lb of leads with me

so did I, but she left me before I had time to put it in her wellies