Hook Patterns

• Thread starter BAZ (Angel of the North)
  • Start date
B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

The hooks that I have been useing for some time now are the Drennan boilie hook in a size 10, and I don't suffer from many dropped takes or hook pulls etc. The eye is at a 16 deg angle outward turning.

I have also been useing shrink tube to form the line aligner. The takes on the line aligner seem to be a lot more aggressive, i.e. not so many single beeps but more screemers.

Would I be better useing a hook pattern with a <u>down turned eye</u> as this is already taking the curve that I want to achieve with the line aligner?

Or would it be worth tweaking the eye slightly to the shape I want?

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I wouldn't risk bending a straight eyed hook even if it is only a little bit. You could be weakening the metal.

I have been using ESP, Drennan, Korda and Kamasans but the one I return to most of the time is the ESP Raptor T9 in a size 10. I think it's the T9 pattern anyhow, the short shank one. I mostly use flourocarbon so even with the straight eye the stiffness of flouro gives the hooking angle with no need for shrink tubing.

I band pellets to them and hair rig with them, I feel the shorter shank gives a less obvious hook and I've not noticed it adversely affecting how many fish are hooked.

Julian Barber

Reaction score
I love the drennan boilie hooks. Sharper than a sharp thing, and get a good hookhold. I find that with a knotless knot set up there is no need for a line aligner. Its quite an agressive pattern.
That wicked sharpness can dull easily if fishing over gravel, so I check and change often.
Not really a heavy enough gauge for hit n hold work or real weedy work with bigger fish, but an overlooked and undervalued hook IMHO. .They have been around for donkies, but people want the 'latest' hooks. If it aint broke, I dont bother fixing it.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

That's a good point Julian. But I would have thought the angle of the eye would make a difference.

Julian Barber

Reaction score
The angle of the eye defo makes a difference on some patterns, helping the hook turn.Its interesting you say that using the line aligner with the DB hooks results in less knocks and more positive indication. The object of the line aligner is to turn the hook to aid pricking, but I have been using them just knotless knot style and found they turn just fine, resulting in good bottom lip hookholds.Its impossible however to say how many rejected pick ups you suffer. If you were suffering lots of twitches before the line aligner was introduced, its obviously a positive step forward, at least for your water.
I have, and still do, use line aligner set ups...just not with this hook. I have so far been happy with its hooking potential, but in light of your comments I may try fishing one aligned against 'au naturel' to see the results.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

If you are useing the same hooks as me, i.e. the Drennan boilie hook. It does have a backward facing eye, away from the hookpoint. Which is the opposite way to which a line aligner faces, i.e. towards the hookpoint. That is what I was getting at.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
You can make pretty patterns out of hooks if you like, but it's more important to make sure it's sharp.

Julian Barber

Reaction score
Yeah, I see what your saying Baz,it eye pattern is reverse eye aligner, but I think the ability of this hook to gather an initial prick and prevent ejection negates the need for line aligner. If you knotless knot it, especially with mono hooklinks, the line is going to leave the hook on the inside face of the eye and change those reverse aligner dynamics though.
I also think the hookpoint not being on the same plane as the shank ( like a corkscrew in effect) helps it gain that initial prick.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Your'e right Julian, it is a very good hook. Probably best not to fiddle with it.