Fox Matrix Carp Rods

Foxy

Reaction score
Ok, as per my last post im looking at some new rods after destroying my ESPS, current favourites are a set of infinitys.

We now have another contender in the shape of a set of 3 fox matrix at a reasonable price.

Anyone got these? thoughts please.....

E

Evan

Knowing how your ESP's got destroyed might help in relation to appropriate recommendations for replacements.... ? Story ?

Oh, and every Fox rod I have and own (Barbel Special, Barbel Float and Warrior XT) is a delight to handle and fish with, though I have no direct experience of the matrix's. Anyone ?

paul martin 7

Reaction score
I have a pair of the Fox Aquos in 2.75 tc, slightly cheaper but very similar to the matrix, they are really nice rods, the finish and build are excellent. They have bags of power and have a lovely through action. Even a mate who doesnt like Fox rods had to admit he liked them.

dadondo

Reaction score
hi foxy my son has a set of three matrix 23/4lb tc rods very good rods solid and reliable good casting tools and great for playing fish so a good alrounder if you like, and they look great too!!!.

Foxy

Reaction score
Paul / Peter, thanks.

Evan, story of the dead ESPs below.......

As with most things in life, one discussion usually leadtimes on to another so i will give you the background........

Bought the rods from my local tackle shop (who is a good man), the rods had been there for about hmm 6-7 years? they are the original Terry Hearns with the thicker butt ring. So, i part exhanged these rods for my old diawa powermeshs + a few quid and bought another one through him to make a set of 3.

First dissapointment was the new rod had full SIcs all the way through so there was a slight mismatch (you know what its like, you want them all to match! tart i know)between the three rods. 5th time out on the bank, the rod slipped off the side of the bivvy as i was putting a new hook link on, and the top 3" snapped clean off as it hit the floor (woodland floor covered in leaves and soft mud) so i agree with Rik, sideways impact probaly caused this to snap.

Last weekend, cast out with another rod (the other old one)only a 2.5oz lead and a short cast of about 45ft and teh rod snapped clean in two about 3 inches above teh spigot ring. Not happy, and the only reason i can think of it snapping is maybe the age of the rod? i work in engineering and understand strains and stress` on metallic and composite parts but really cant understand why it snapped.

Anyway, spoke to ESP and they arent really interested so i am harranging the tackle shop to do something about it.

Problem is, its like buying a new car, its brand new to you but it may have been sat in the uk for a year before they put the plates on!!

Not a happy bunny, although i would add the new ESP rod is really, really good and ive had no problems at all with it

E

Evan

If the newer ESP rod is good and you're happy with it and not lost confidence in ESP as a make (who could have foreseen that ?) plus you like matched tackle then what's wrong with two more of the newer ones to match ?

Less whatever appropriate huge discount or refund you can blag for the odd failures of the older two.

Maybe not so odd, composite wrapping, mandrel, curing and manufacturing techniques continue to come on leaps and bounds with newer and better materials and resins, so it could be that newer really is significantly better.

If you're lugging weights that size that distance then that sort of test curve is understandable.

However if you want something for closer in and more delicate I can't praise the Fox Barbel rods enough. At 1.25 and 1.5 lb test curves respectively they will cheerfully handle carp up to 15 lbs and probably more (I just haven't caught larger than on them yet !) with bags and bags of feel and the real ability to play the fish fairy and with some subtlety. Plus wand-like to handle in the hand.

Same with the Fox Warrior XT, though a little less subtle obviously. The contrast with the Shimano Hyperloop is striking. Not that the Shim is a bad rod but it's just outclassed - tip heavy balance, heavier overall and far less flexible in play.

Foxy

Reaction score
rofl, didnt know you were on here mate! going to look at the infinitys tonight and the Foxs are only round the corner at my mates. Will let you know....

Lol see you in the morning ;)

** Even, the only problem with the two new ESPs is the ?360 it will take to get two new ones. Will see what i can blag off the tackle shop, man after my own heart...

Not to sure the barbel rods would balance to well with a great big fat Shimano LC strapped underneath !!

Foxy

Reaction score
And the winner is ........

The fox matrix! used twice, ?100, the infinitys were a bit tatty so taht was that.

Now to talk to Drennan :(