Reel Maintenance Question

maceo

Reaction score
In the Angling Mail today there was a letter where someone asked what sort of period should there be between maintaining your reel and what precisely you should do on that score.

I thought the answer was pretty hopeless (In not so many words - "My reels are so expensive, well-engineered and rugged that I don't need to maintain them, but I do have some I send off for a service every now and then").

Not really much use to those of us trying to keep a £30 reel going for another season!

I thought I'd take the opportunity to repeat this interesting question here knowing that the replies will be much more useful and informative.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Depends on the reel. Modern fixed spools I don't personally think need much maintenance as the main moving parts are often sealed.Mine might get a spot of oil or grease maybe once a season depending on how much use they've had. What I do do is to make sure they get properly dried off if they get very wet and cleaned regularly. Accumulated dirt,groundbait,grit,maggot dust etc does them no good at all.

Centrepins are another matter and they do need looking after regularly. I will clean,dry & re-lube my pins after every trip and check them over again before they are next used.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Some Shimano reels have a maintenance port and are supplied with oil (I know the Stradic is). Will check tonight if there is a specific period to lubricate but would think it depends on how often the reel is used.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Areas that need regular maintenance on fixed spool reels are the bail arm mechanism, the handle where it goes into the body and the handle knob itself. Ie anywhere where there is a moving part which is exposed to dirt and crud. A clean and rinse with a mild detergent, a good spray with WD40 or similar whilst operationg the mechanism and, once dry, a drop or two of a good general purpose oil. Do this evey few months and you'll be fine.

Internally is a different matter and unless you're using a reel regularly for heavy spinnning or you're long range feeder fishing and casting regularly during a session, you only need to check the grease every three years or so. Even then it probably won't need any extra grease, just a redistribution of the grease that's already in there.

chav professor

Reaction score
30quid reel? keep going untill it starts making a crunching sound. I have reels upwards of 20 years old and they barely recieve any attention and they just keep on going!

My Multipliers on the other hand, they were always coming apart for a clean and a quick tune up!

redfin123

Reaction score
reels like cars, keep em clean and oiled and they will give you good service.

terry m

Reaction score
Very true Redfin.

Mnay years ago I used to pull my Mitchells apart every close season, these days it's a couple of drops of the special oil through the port, twice a year and keep them clean (ish).

The tolerances that reels are manufactured to these days are very good.