Update from India

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
In my previous thread ****y described fishing in India as sometimes being a war of attrition. How right you are mate! The latest debacle...

I planned to fish Dodital Lake for Trout. This is a beautiful, deep clear lake, situated at an altitude of 6500 feet in the Himalayas, in the state of Uttranchal, northern India.

I did my research although not enough, as will be revealed:

There were 2 challenges:

1/ I needed to obtain a permit from a fisheries office "5 kilometres from Uttarkashi".

2/ To reach Dodital from Uttarkashi (the nearest town), involves a 2 day trek, with supplies en route doubtful, at best.

No problem I thought; I'll ask around for the fisheries office, buy a tent and other provisions in Uttarkashi, hire a guide and Mule (no comments please), and away I go!

So I hopped on to a local bus for a gruelling 7 hour journey from where I am; Rishikesh; to Uttarkshi.

When I got to Uttarkashi I was shocked by what I saw. All the tourist related businesses were firmly boarded up. All the hotels too. I spent a miserable 2 hours walking around in the monsoon rain, with a 50 pound pack on my back, trying to find someone, anyone, who could speak English. No joy.

Eventually I found a grotty guest house with a room available. It had blankets not sheets on the bed (it was 85 degrees). I woke up in the morning with bites all over my legs from Bed Bugs. The guest house was positioned directly above a public toilet, I probably don't need to say any more.

I jumped on the first bus in the morning, I don't think I've ever been so pleased to leave anywhere in my life!!

As you might imagine, the 7 hour bus journey back to Rishikesh wasn't the best fun I've ever had in my life.

So; I've still to catch my first Indian Fish. Watch this space though; I've had a couple of offers of help locally, although one of them involves Goonch Catfish. Do I really want to catch one of those?

Reaction score
:) lol Ah..India!!! You gotta love it!

That's what it's all about Ric! You won't forget that experience in a hurry!

I've probably mentioned it before, but in case I haven't, have you tried posting on indianangler.com for a bit of help.

Email the moderator Bopanna,he's a top bloke and really looked after us while we were out there last year. He has many angling buddies throughout India, I'm sure he could point you in the right direction.

Keep at it matey

pcpaulh

Reaction score
You'll laugh in 20 years time. Maybe. Or not.

Good luck in your quest!

J

John McLaren

Hope you catch something soon Ric - preferably a fish of course!!

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
No chance of a dose Ed. Well, at least until I get to Thailand anyway :)

Cheers for that ****y. I'm in touch with a couple of guys on the site. Hopefully I've got something sorted out for next week, I'll report back!