Angling Times' arithmetic

fred hall

Reaction score
Because I am very slow I have just been reading the Angling Times edition published July 10th 2007. On page 25 there is a review of a new toy for you carp anglers, the Daiwa Infinity carbon throwing stick which carries a price tag of ?99.99.
To quote from the review "..a pound short of a hundred quid..."
Okay I've got my small minded dig in but I now have to ask if Daiwa, and AT, really do believe we've all got more money than sense.I've bought drivable cars for less than ?100, not recently I grant you, but that kind of money for a throwing stick!!!

Trisantona

Reaction score
The way they work their ratings out of ten is amusing,anything less than 7 doesn't get reviewed,some get nine or ten,then something scores 7 and is described as average ?.

A

Angler Saxon

Did you see the review of the bait chopper. ?25!!!! for something you can pick up for a few quid in any high street shop with a kitchenware department - or for 50p at most boot fairs.

E

EC

I suspect* that Daiwa/Daiwa dealers spend a sh1tload of dosh on advertising with AT, as such, when they submit a product for review, whether its a ?100 throwing stick or a 2grand pole the feedback is never going to be any less than positive.

Fishingmagic user reviews are where its at. Totally honest, warts'n all, and submitted by people whom, by and large, have bought the gear with their own hard earned spondulux.

*happy to be corrected

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"*happy to be corrected"

Not by me Eddie as I couldn't agree more.

The FM reviews are; real, honest and not tainted by financial concerns in any way, shape or form.

Incidentally, Oliver Cromwell is attributed with the saying "warts 'n all" as he was reputedly prone to facial warts and when his portrait was being undertaken by Peter Lely, he asked for the 'warts 'n all' to be included.

The painting is in the City Art Gallery in Birmingham, I think.

Trisantona

Reaction score
It's really very sad the way Angling Times has gone,i read it from cover to cover several times over for nearly forty years,but it got so commercial i stopped buying it about four years ago.sponsored anglers just using it to mention their company's products etc.what really used to get up my nose was writers saying "tackle used" mentioning the names of all the tackle used,ie rod make,line brand and breaking strain,bait brand,rod pod, hook make and size or whatever,then when it got to reels ,not being sponsored by them they would just say " freerunner type",the articles were accompanied by pictures clearly showing Shimano Baitrunners.felt like screeming "theyr'e Shimano's it says so on the side of the F****ing reels you pillock".

G

Gary Knowles

Really?...?100 for a throwing stick !!!!!!

whats up with a ?5.99 spod?

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

I'm stunned at that price, only a plank would spend that sort of money.

You ordered yours Barney?

fred hall

Reaction score
".. hard earned spondulux..."
Eddie, I think the last person I heard use that phrase was my old man who, bless him, moved on 29 years ago. He was a native of the Manchester area . Is that where the phrase originates from?

E

EC

Dunno its origins Fred, I do know it was a toss up between spondulux, moolaw or ackers.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Your facelift's worked wonders Eddie --has your voice gone squeaky too ????