Floating bread

BigBaz

Reaction score
what's the best way to attach bread to the hook so that it remains in place during casting and does not sink after hitting the water?

J

John McLaren

First of all use a fresh loaf and cut off a good sized piece - small matchbox is not too big. Second use a good sized hook with a wide gape, third thread the point of the hook through from the flake side then back again so that the crust acts as a cushion. The next part of the process depends on how you are fishing it - freelined you need to dunk it slightly to give some casting weight - how much dunking will come with practice,if you are using a controller or leger (a la zig rig) then you don't need to wet the bread.

Finally cast smoothly - a jerky cast will be more likely to provide a free offering than a bait that will catch - although the chances are that the hookless bait is the one the fish will take :)

Green Drake

Reaction score
JM's advice is as good as you'll get for crust. Crust stays on the hook a surprisingly long time so long as its not nobbled by rudd etc. Best to use a loaf that's a couple of days old so that the crust has got a bit rubbery.

Large lumps of freelined flake will also float so long as you do not squeeze it on too firmly.

A month or so ago I carried out some tests in an aquarium with flake and a couple of hooks sizes to mimic float or lead fishing with a bottom bait. A 10p sized disc of bread pinched on the shank of a num 6 hook stays on for about 8 minutes. It swells up quickly upon immersion and then starts to "unhinge" from around the shank, eventually falling away from the hook. This process would be much faster in running water. In still water the flake really pops up, to the extent that it lies adjacent to the line going down to the bottom shot (so line is shaped like a "U"). A recipe for a lot of false knocks unless you fish overdepth and have the line angling down from the float. Or you could use two spaced shot lying on the bottom.

Small pieces of flake on say a size 14, especially punched bread, stay on for almost twice the time described above.

I also tried two penny sized pieces of flake hooked back to back. I quite often leger for chub in this way. I was stunned to find that it took two SSG to keep it on the bottom. Remember this is all in a fish tank. How does it behave in a fast current or even a slowly paced river?

Time messing around like this is time well spent. No need for a fish tank, a plastic bucket will do. I needed photos so it had to be the aquarium for me.

Green Drake

Reaction score
"I also tried two penny sized pieces of flake hooked back to back"

Sorry that should be CRUST hooked back to back.

J

John McLaren

Interesting work GD, on reflection I might vary my first comment about using a fresh loaf - the main issue is the toughmness of the crust and some fresh loaves are no good and well may be better after a couple of days - there is a degree of trial and error involved - in the main I buy a particular loaf from a local baker that works best fresh.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
I've heard some good stuff about the enterprise one. I might give it ago.

BigBaz

Reaction score
Just a thought. Does anybody know if these artificial floating bread products are biodegradable or harmful to wildfoul etc.