Waterproof clothing

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
When I say waterproof clothing I don't mean the sort you put on over clothes I mean the actual clothing, trousers and tops such as the camo stuff you buy from army surplus or Realtree.

Is the material it is made out of waterproof or is it a treatment that is applied afterwards that makes it waterproof and would, as a result, be washed off if it got a bit smelly and needed a wash?

I ask this because I have such a set made out of very soft material and as a result of catching a few pesky bream they have become a bit slimy in places and are developing a distinctive smell! It comes with no washing instructions incidentally but I would hand wash it rather than machine wash naturally.

E

EC

If there are no instructions Graham, maybe phone the manufacturer if not I'd just use a damp cloth mate.

T

The Monk

I have a full suit of Gortex ex army camo and I hand wash it, no probs mate

E

Evan

Some cheapies are just a treatment applied to the material which washes off and out after very little washing.

The better quality stuff is a very thin plastic membrane applied to the inside of the material which should, in most cases, survive reasonably gentle washing with a biological liquid at no more than 40 degrees, then line dried - NOT tumble dried for obvious melty melty and breakdown reasons.

Works for all of my stuff OK, though anything, even Gore Tex, degrades over time.

J

john conway

I?ve always used a two solution washing / waterproofing product, which right at this moment I can?t remember the name of, I?m at work typing this. Basically you wash your garments with one part first then a second wash with the other part. I?ve used it on all my expensive Gortex outdoor clothing. I generally do it twice a year. I?ll post the name of it when I get home.
Like Evan said, whatever you do don't tumble dry Gortex and don't wash above 40C.

J

john conway

Just had a look at the site you posted Ed.

I use Tech Wash then TX Direct Wash-in

W

Wolfman Woody

You should wait Graham until the great sage of clothing, waterproof or otherwise, comes on line -

Mr Andy (the Suit) Smellist!

J

john conway

I?ve always used a two solution washing / waterproofing product, which right at this moment I can?t remember the name of, I?m at work typing this. Basically you wash your garments with one part first then a second wash with the other part. I?ve used it on all my expensive Gortex outdoor clothing. I generally do it twice a year. I?ll post the name of it when I get home.
Like Evan said, whatever you do don't tumble dry Gortex and don't wash above 40C.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Calling clothing "Waterproof" is a bit of a false description if it is only waterproof by virtue of what is sprayed on it isn't it, people that use that type of clothing are quite obviously going to frequent places where it is going to get dirty and it will inevitably smell. If washing makes it non waterproof then surely it is against the trades description act to describe it as 100% waterproof.

Perhaps that is why the Naval term for a soldier is a "Pongo" the poor things aren't allowed to dhoby their clothes. hehehehe!

T

The Monk

we of course have clothing sold as waterproof which is really only shower proof and should be sold under that tag. TYhe important thnig with waterproof clothing is it must breath otherwise you will find you get wetter on the inside. For years I only used barbour, great gear but you had to wax it regulalr, Gortex was a god sent, never had a problem with it although i believe you get different qualities of gortex?

keora

Reaction score
Graham, some manufacturers opt out by suggesting that fishing clothing can only be "wiped down with a damp cloth". This is useless advice as some of my stuff gets pretty mucky after a few sessions.

I would try hand washing it in luke warm water in the sink, using a liquid soap such as Woolite from Sainsbury's. You could risk the Wool cycle in a washing machine if you wanted.

Hang the stuff up to dry, don't risk spinning it or tumble drying it.

S

Scott Whatmore

Dad,

use Nikwax Tech Wash to clean the garment. You must follow the instructions to the letter. ie clean out the detergent drawer thoroughly before using it. Max of 2 items etc

Then use the Nikwax TX.direct wash in to add water repellency and revive the breathability.

Most waterproof and breathable garments need treating approx every 6 mths depending on their use.

Seperately they 2 lots cost about ?12 but you can usually pick them up as a pair for ?10.

There are lots of other stuff around that are a bit cheaper but I haven't used them.

I got mine from 'Blacks' but most outdoor type places should do it.

G

Ged

Hi Nick.
Only Gortex make Gortex.
There are no difference in quality, only thickness or suppleness of material.
There is a spary for waterproofing breathable materials called Ibsil. It's pretty good.

For washing such clothing, please follow above instuctions as posted by others. 40 wash etc.

Paul C

Reaction score
Ibsil is good, but by god it stinks for a day or two after application.

I'd stick with the bream slime. At least it makes you smell like a good angler...