bad run fishing club

Specihunter

Reaction score
i was trying to fish my local stretch of the cherwell and gave up due to swims being overgrown with stinging nettles yet the other side was fishable .Why pay club fees when you cant fish good stretches of the river

W

Wolfman Woody

Whereabouts on the Cherwell?

Virgin swims? Loverly. Take a scythe with you, a length of rope and a strong bivvy peg to get up and down the banks.

J

john conway

I agree with Les, cut out a swim for yourself. Working parties in most clubs are made up of the members themselve.
How much are you paying for your subs?

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Thats the way i like a river. Dont cut out to much, just enough to poke a rod in. You dont even have to do that, lay the rod on top.

Cutting away to much will only tell others someone has been there, and if its any good next time you go you may not get the swim.

Specihunter

Reaction score
i pay ?60 a year its the islip stretch towards oxford and i will take your advice

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Thats not bad --thats good

?60 ??? People would pay ?600 to fish virgin swims like that

W

Wolfman Woody

Are you on the Islip side then, downstream from where the Ray runs in? Or above the Ray?

Used to fish opposite, GC&UDAS stretch. Some damned fine chub in there, but never ever caught a barbel. Watch out for the crays.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

He won't have to worry about crays --the stinging nettles are too bad !

Specihunter

Reaction score
down from the ray and i didnt mean the price just how overgrown the swims are

Will Smith

Reaction score
I know what you mean mate. It,s bloody murder if you can,t get your car on the peg. Innit

David Craine

Reaction score
Last time I went up to the Ribble I spoke to a couple of anglers, one of them was complaining about the access to the swims,I explained that that was the way I liked em, keeps many others away because they could not be bothered to do a jungle run through the Himalayan Balsam, Foxgloves , and steep banks. I think some anglers have been spoiled by Commercials, and they think , possibly due to lack of experience that all fisheries should be maintained the way that commercials are. I will always enjoy river fishing as long as the river is , to some degree , left wild , the way nature intended it to be.

Specihunter

Reaction score
what works party i have only known of 1 and that was for marlborough pools which is another topic all together and i park my car behind my peg

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

Neglected rivers usually = big chub. Quite a lot of my club waters are very overgrown, fortunately.

A few stinging nettles are nothing, it's the 12' tall giant hog weed you have to worry about.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Personally I think it is a bad thing if anglers go chopping swims out here there and everywhere without any discussion in the first place with the club concerned. Even then anglers could be doing more harm than good, i.e. spreading Balsam and Hogweed. To say nothing of tree branches that the angler could decide are in his way.