How simple can a knot get!!

soffit

Reaction score
Tying Fish Hooks and Snelling Fish Hooks to Fishing Line [middle of page]

The Snell can be tied differently to give a conventional line exit but I like the idea of the hook being 'spring-loaded' as something to experiment with for more successful strike rates as claimed on the site. They are using circle hooks when making this claim.

This type of hook has been discussed on here in relation to predator fishing whilst bemoaning they were only available in large sizes. However, they are now sold as small as a twelve....

440 Circle Hooks - Fishing Hooks - Superb fishing products

£1.28 for ten post free; got to be worth a fiddle don't you think?

mol

Reaction score
It's also called the knotless knot, tied exactly the same with the tag being the hair.

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
There are two versions on the Snell knot. The Uni knot version and the Snell knot traditional. The difference between the Snell/Uni - Snell traditional and the Knotless knot is as shown below.
Jerry

PS I meant to add that as mol states in the diagram of the first post it looks like a Knotless knot without the hair.

barbelboi-albums-a2-picture3023-snell-knot-uni-color.jpg

barbelboi-albums-a2-picture3022-knotless-knot-color.jpg

barbelboi-albums-a2-picture3024-snell-knot-traditional-color.jpg

Last edited:

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Paul's knot is the same as a knotless knot; Roy Marlow's is the Domhof/Needle/Nail knot.
The latter is better, because it is basically a whipping, with both the main line and the tag end trapped by every single turn of the whipping. The knotless has a change of pitch from butting turns on the way down to one open turn on the way back, and that "corner" can open up and create enough slack to release the tag - it doesn't often happen in practice; if the knot is well tightened, it can't make that first jump over the last turn of whipping.
Even so, the Domhof is theoretically sounder, is slimmer, can be used on spade-ends as well as eyed hooks, with or without a hair-loop, and doesn't need to pass twice though the eye - three times for D-rigs and the like - all of which make it a winner for me.
Paul's version is, however, fast and easy to handle, and may edge it with small hooks and cold fingers!

Last edited:

Frank Elson

Reaction score
sorry to hijack the thread but can someone explain to me why the circle hook is so good?
I don't miss a lot of bites - chub and barbel - but far too many come off quite soon after being hooked. I just use whatever number 8 hooks the tackle shop man hands me. Is it worth getting some circles, do you think?

barbelboi

Reaction score
sorry to hijack the thread but can someone explain to me why the circle hook is so good?
I don't miss a lot of bites - chub and barbel - but far too many come off quite soon after being hooked. I just use whatever number 8 hooks the tackle shop man hands me. Is it worth getting some circles, do you think?

After a fish takes your bait, they usually turn away to’ kill’ their meal. The circle hook slides back through the fish's mouth to the jaw corner and then hooks the fish in the mouth, they also reduce the chance of a deeply hooked fish.
Jerry

bigchub

Reaction score

If you need any information on the use of circle hooks for chub then please get in contact with Bob, Simon or myself.

Frank Elson

Reaction score
After a fish takes your bait, they usually turn away to’ kill’ their meal. The circle hook slides back through the fish's mouth to the jaw corner and then hooks the fish in the mouth, they also reduce the chance of a deeply hooked fish.
Jerry

Thanks. Seems like I have to at least try them.