Like a leper holding a rancid kipper

• Thread starter Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)
  • Start date
A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

Unfortunately in many of the pictures of fish now being published the angler is holding the fish as if he has leprosy and/or the fish was a rancid kipper i.e. poorly held with little evidence of fingers cradling the fish and/or with the fish held out to the camera.

Such poses provide no real evidence of the size of fish and there is no legitimate reason for holding the fish in such a pose.

More importantly such poses put the fish in danger of being dropped whilst being photographed and for that reason if no other they should be totally discouraged.

Hold'em close and hold 'em carefully should be the moto of any angler wishing to take a trophy shot of a fish. Photo's where the fish is held out and/or with too little support should in my view be known as a "Death Poses".

This season I've published nothing and I will not do so until firm action is taking by the angling media to stop the practice.

paul martin 7

Reaction score
Andy, maybe you should have some of your pictures published so everyone can see the correct way to hold fish.

That was part of my point with my thread ''14lb Tench in Anglers Mail'' the fish was being held out and In my opinion does not look like a 14lb fish.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I totally agree Andy, why do anglers hold fish out at arms length? Are they trying to make it look bigger than it actually is?

I always kneel down with the unhooking mat in front of me and keep the fish well supported and close to my body.

T

The Monk

yes you are right Andy, it has however been going on for years and in some cases those who are published with books have also played their part.

if these guys want to make a fish look bigger whats wrong with photoshop

paul martin 7

Reaction score
Are they trying to make it look bigger than it actually is?

Almost certainly, look at a lot of Andy Littles pics...........

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
If it is to make the fish look bigger they are only kidding themselves.
But you know the press, anything to sell a few extra copies.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
I quite like taking pictures of a fish I'm pleased with but I hold it close to me and generally low to the floor so if it trys to flip I can place it back down.

T

The Monk

nowt worst than a novice holding up a big carp while stood up

on yer head son!!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I very rarely photograph fish but the times I have they are still firmly in the landing net, they are for my reference not for others to see.

I have a picture in my comp of a Severn barbel that was taken with my mobile camera and it perfectly illustrates exactly what Andy is saying. It was taken by me but not of me incidentally, I shall send it to Andy for his inspection and maybe he will put it up for viewing.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Personally I think there are too many pictures of people holding fish.

I would say that the bigger proportion of my "trophy" shots are simple pics of the fish laying in the landing net with the rod a reel next to it. Such shots take very little time to execute, you don't have to hold the fish and you can return it quickly and safely.

And anyway, who wants to look at the angler's ugly mug - I want to see the fish!

honslow

Reaction score
I'm with Andy here. Too much 'creativity' going on in the way that anglers present their catches for the camera. As for pushing them out so far that when the fish is in focus and the angler isn't, even when shooting at a wide angle, not only is it bad fish handling, it makes for a rubbish photo. There have been times when specimen anglers have lost out on Drennan Cup weekly awards because of poor photos of big fish catches. One of the requirements of the comp is that the photos are top quality.
But whilst I agree with him, I'm not in charge of editorial content. Perhaps Andy you should write to our letters page (Letters To The Editor) with your concerns? There maybe many other anglers who feel the way we do. And I'm sure Angling Times doesn't want to encourage poor fish handling that puts fish at risk!

W

Wolfman Woody

"Too much 'creativity' going on "

I'm afraid that's not the case Greg, but I know what you're driving at.

When Ken Townley published those pictures on here of the "babe" holding the carp, THAT WAS creativity. A superb shot, different posing and the lighting was fantastic.

Unfortunately, so many are now of an angler holding the fish like a sack of spuds, and worse still, every picture they have taken is in front of the same bush. Nothing changes, no thought, no creativity.

Well spoken Andy!

T

The Monk

I photograph every fish I catch that looks like it will go 20lbs, only one fish at a time unless its with a friend and we are posing side by side but you must have other guys about to make sure the fish are well watered, I use a very large unhooking mat, the fishs welfare is paramount. Later the large unhooking mat can be filled with mud , chances you fancy a bit of mud wrestling with the slapper in the bivvy, should the carp go quiet.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
I photograph anything that looks a double now where as I used to photograph lots of fish. I only photograph what looks a double as for be, that is still a substaintial fish. Although I'm sure in a while it will move to 15lbs and so on.

M

MarkTheSpark

My favourite man-holidng-fish pose was always the one with the fish held to one side kind of along an outstretched arm - Des Taylor always did it, and it looked great. You'd get two shots, one with the cheesy grin for AT, the other looking at the fish for Dave Hall's Beano, and no accusations of subterfuge.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

Anglers will rant and rave about death rigs but don't react when they see a photo of a fish in which the angler is holding it at arms length and/or not supporting it properly. It's time that changed.

I'm avoiding pointing the finger at specific anglers and publications because I believe that will simply move attention away from the problem.

It is time the angling media as a whole took the bull by the horns, and worked together for the sake of fish welfare to deal with the issue.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

I agree 100% about the 'death poses'. The other shot I really dislike is the one where the angler is looking very VERY seriously at the head of the fish (sometimes at its tail for god's sake).

At the very least look as though you're pleased to have caught the fish, and look at the camera; you've done something to be proud of, not ashamed of. Leave the false modesty to those who don't catch much.

The problem with fishing is that, apart from the shots taken on very public commercial fisheries, we're in danger of not having any decent fishing photography at all. The last thing I want to see is endless mug shots of angler and fish; no scenery, no action shots, etc.

But I do understand the problems regarding publicity, it's just a real shame it has to be like it is. I don't think the same situation applies in any other sport.

Apart from Hide and Seek.

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

Not talking John(Terry Towell) ?0d here are we :eek:)

My problem is my body is such a big mass (and mess) any fish I hold close, and I only fish for chub and barbel, never look as big as those photographed with normal sized anglers.

As I usually fish alone most of my photograpgs are of the fish and some object giving a size indication and in most cases, my left foot.

M

MarkTheSpark

You're not wrong, Graham. I've sat through countless slide shows of endless shots of a bloke staring at a big fish, reeled off with all the panache of someone reading a price list.

I've done a couple of slide shows, too, and (not having many pictures of me with big fish, chiefly because I haven't caught many) had to tell a few stories and show some nice scenics and name-drop about people I've fished with and photographed.

Usually gets a much better reception. If fishing were only about the occasional red letter day, and had nothing to do with the laughs and the surroundings, there would be nobody on FM.