R

Royffey

Pike season 2010 -2011 = best pike season ever

Pike season 2011 - 2012 = worst season ever

has anyone else found this in other parts of the UK

(im in Waltham Abbey, essex area)

barbelboi

Reaction score
Hasn't exactly been a vintage year for pike in our neck of the woods either Skippy.
Jerry

terry m

Reaction score
Things are a little different in my part of the world, probably the best season ever - and it is not over yet!

The only drawback has been the lack of water in the rivers so almost all fish have come from stillwaters.

But back on the river tomorrow as the pits are freezing up.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
This season so far has been well below par, even though my outing's have been severely restricted, results have been far from consistant.
Low water, prolific weed, raging winds, well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!!
Still a few weeks to go though.

bigsean

Reaction score
as this is my 1st 'season' fishing for pike i cant really comment, but i would like to ask ... when u talk about the pike season, when exactly does this season begin and end????
is it a reference to the river season or up to and spawning time? as i know a lot of ppl leave pike alone after spawning as they are weakened .... but i also know a lot of ppl who fish for pike all year round.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Traditionalists would say from Oct 1st to the close season. In reality you can fish for pike anytime you like on still waters so long as club/other regulations permit it.
Jerry

esox2914

Reaction score
having a poor season this year in terms of number of fish caught to trips out, but in terms of weight having a very good year, my average weight this season is 17lb which on the fens is good.
last year was the same, fewer fish but had 4 20s to 28lb 6oz.
the season before that i had 54 doubles to 23lb, and the season before (08-09) i had 69 doubles to 29lb 14oz, so numbers of fish have been reducing quite quickly yet the average weight has increased

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
having a poor season this year in terms of number of fish caught to trips out, but in terms of weight having a very good year, my average weight this season is 17lb which on the fens is good.
last year was the same, fewer fish but had 4 20s to 28lb 6oz.
the season before that i had 54 doubles to 23lb, and the season before (08-09) i had 69 doubles to 29lb 14oz, so numbers of fish have been reducing quite quickly yet the average weight has increased

By my reckoning you've had a cracking year. As you say, less in numbers but a bigger average size. I'll bet there's more than a few pike anglers who would gladly swap places with you in a heartbeat. I certainly would this year, as so far mine's been dire. Once again, well done mate. :)

Eric Edwards

Reaction score
Last winter was very poor for me. I'm doing better this year with 35 doubles, five over 20lbs and a best fish of 28lbs 4oz. The fishing should pick up as soon as the current freeze ends, I usually fish up to the end of March and those last two or three weeks are the best time.
I didn't fish at all in March last season and that contributed to it being my worst season for more than ten years.

bradp

Reaction score
this season has been a struggle for me too compared to last year - off out Monday & Tuesday to try and remedy that!