Bitter Cold

terry m

Reaction score
Sat out piking today in the bitter cold. The water was like a mill pond, not a ripple to be seen. Three runs, 2 fish landed, not monsters but fun all the same. As darkness began to fall I could see the surface of the water actually turning to ice very slowly. Reckon the stillwaters wioll be solid tomorrow.

A couple of carpers were settling down for the night against a predicted drop to minus 6 degrees! Not sure whether they are brave or daft!

redfin123

Reaction score
How much do carp feed in these temperatures?

In near freezing water tempratures the carps metabalisum slows right down, they may only once in every 24 or 36 hrs. pike are the same.

Last edited:

mol

Reaction score
All the stillwaters froze over on Friday around me. Looking at the long range forecast nothing is going to change for at least two weeks.

chav professor

Reaction score
Temperature never reached zero and had two chub, 4lb7oz and 4lb4oz!! The only inconvenience was that I did not bring ant glycerine and the line froze solid in the rod rings.... That was time to go home.....

A point of note, I have always rated very cold weather for Pike - so long as the conditions have been stable, all fish will have to feed at some point. I will include roach as good cold water feeders.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
fishing is just a hobby and there is no reason what so ever to sit on the waterside in stupid temps...Ask me, I have had pneumonia and let me tell you its not very nice!

MARK

terry m

Reaction score
LPoS - spot on. Keeping mobile in this weather helps you search out the fish and keep warm.

Winter clothing these days is a world ahead of the 'thick jumper' of yesteryear.

Andy Banham 2

Reaction score
the professor is right i have had roach at -6c and my maggots began to freeze. must keep mobile. prefere a bomb rod to a trotting rod.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Pretty cold this morning (and all day actually):

002528x396.jpg

003676x507.jpg

But the Grayling obliged:

006510x422.jpg

:)