lead in fishing

Jimmy

Reaction score
can you use sea leads in fresh water? what are the regulations regarding its use/

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
Jimmy,

I believe you can use sea leads in fresh water, as long as they are over 30g approx just over 1oz.

Wouldn't recommend using gripper leads for freshwater fishing though lol ;-)

E

Eric Hayes

Claudia, I take it you don't fish flooded rivers then? I think your thinking about the break away leads, but I wouldn't rule those out on most rivers at the moment.

Jimmy

Reaction score
so watch leads are ok? these look like they could be a cheaper alternative to paying a quid for 1! it's just that i thought lead was banned years ago????

E

Eric Hayes

Jim, I use watch leads on the river & not just when it's flooded. In the smaller sizes they are ideal for moulding paste round and they are cheap enough so you can stand to lose a few if your chosen venue is a snag pit.

L

Laurie Harper

Jimmy. You can use lead in shot sizes up to no. 8 and over 30 grams as Claudia says. I've found breakaways in smaller (2-3 oz.) sizes handy on the Thames when it's in flood.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

The byelaw is this:

"No fishing weights made of lead may be used except those of 0.06 grams or less and those of more than 28.35 grams.

In angling terms this means that lead shot from size 14 to size 8 and lead weights of over 1 ounce can be used in fishing."

There are no byelaws governing the design of the lead weight, which means you can use a gripper weight if you wish providing it weighs more than 1oz.

Watch leads commonly used in sea fishing are very often used to fish a flooded or fast-flowing river.

Mithrandir

Reaction score
I think the smaller lead weights were banned because swans etc were swallowing them and suffering from lead poisoning. Not sure why very small shot is allowed if this is true.