Online Tackle Dealers Experiences

maceo

Reaction score
I've bought some stuff from various on-line shops recently and thought I'd pass on my experiences for what it's worth.

In order of satisfaction they are:-

1. Matchman Supplies - Very quick service and included a handwritten note. I'll use this place again!

2. Summerlands - Had to wait a week or so for the stuff I wanted to come into stock (no mention of that on the web-site when I ordered) and as I bought several bits from them, I wouldn't have minded an itemised bill rather than just the print out from the credit card machine. Good prices though and when the stuff arrived it was all fine.

3. Fishing Warehouse - I reckon the fishing warehouse is actually as big as my garden shed. I've ordered stuff from them twice and both times had big problems. The first was a hoody and I was told 'approximately a week' then a couple of weeks later: 'any day now' and then another week later 'we're expecting it any time - do you want to cancel your order?' I stuck with it and eventually it arrived about a month after I ordered it.

That was about 6 months ago and then a few weeks back I ordered a reel case off them (shown on the website as '1 left in stock') and thought I might as well get a few floats off them at the same time as the postage on them is effectively free.

I got an e-mail saying order despatched pretty quickly, but when it arrived a couple of days later it was just the floats in a tube - no reel case. I e-mailed them and asked them what had happened and they replied and said the reel case was 'to follow'.

I just got an e-mail from them yesterday (a week later) saying it's out of stock - please advise. Well I got my money back, but of course now I've paid £3 for the postage on four bloody floats!

I won't be using these again. Perhaps I've just been unlucky, but there won't be a third time of messing about for weeks on end with orders.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have never used fishing warehouse but I heard of folk having ''fun'' with them before! I tend to stick with a few trusted sites and I know from experience that those with big sounding names are usually a bit suspect, IE those with the words ''UK'' and ''WAREHOUSE'' in their names!
One of the best ones out there is Harris Sportsmail, very quick free postage (big items like brolly's and seat boxes, cost about a fiver) I also use a small company on Jersey called Monster tackle for bits an bobs and small lures (they cater mainly for bass) but they sell very high quality tackle at really good prices and free postage too!

MARK

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
If these companies have the items in stock it's happy days.
Maintaining stock levels or stock control is a tricky business especially
considering many tackle items are imported from far away lands.
Staff problems, cash flow etc can make big problems for these companies and inevitably result in some delays in despatch of some lines.
On the rare occasions I use online retailers I prefer to phone them
to place my order and ask if the item is in stock and how quickly it will be
despatched rather than add to basket and hope.

sam vimes

Reaction score
If these companies have the items in stock it's happy days.
Maintaining stock levels or stock control is a tricky business especially
considering many tackle items are imported from far away lands.
Staff problems, cash flow etc can make big problems for these companies and inevitably result in some delays in despatch of some lines.
On the rare occasions I use online retailers I prefer to phone them
to place my order and ask if the item is in stock and how quickly it will be
despatched rather than add to basket and hope.

I can't disagree but a good website shouldn't allow the sale but no stock scenario. I detest those dealers that do allow it. They don't tend to get my repeat custom if it happens just the once.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
I always look on line to see the best deals and then i just phone them up, order it and pay ...importantly asking them if they have it in stock.

no problems that way.

maceo

Reaction score
Maceo,
no mention of AnglingDirect where you just got a reel?

Yep, they were fine. No problems with them at all. In fast the reel case I was after was a Shimano Aspire one to match and cosset the new reel - which is the shiniest and newest thing I've had in my tackle box for a fair while!

I didn't include them because I bought from them off e-bay and there generally aren't the 'out of stock' problems when they advertise something on there. Perhaps because sellers are more conscious of the feedback.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yep, they were fine. No problems with them at all. In fast the reel case I was after was a Shimano Aspire one to match and cosset the new reel - which is the shiniest and newest thing I've had in my tackle box for a fair while!

I didn't include them because I bought from them off e-bay and there generally aren't the 'out of stock' problems when they advertise something on there. Perhaps because sellers are more conscious of the feedback.

Sam will be a friend for life if you start buying top end shimano!
Seriously though if a web company use a good I.T. firm then there should be no reason why the web site should show out of stock items!
Mark

PS: if you want anything Shimano then I can recommend Billy Clarkes, he is one of the oldest and biggest Shimano main dealers in the country with a massive spares stock and his web site is top notch, first class bloke too!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
That's odd...I've used Fishing Warehouse 2-3 times and each time the stuff has arrived virtually by return.Monster Tackle as Mark says are very good too. I use Fishtec quite a bit because I like TFG luggage....good service but I do think the p&p is a bit steep so I tend to wait for one of their regular 10% off or free P&P deals.

And e-bay is not all doom & gloom either provided you are careful about who you buy from. I bought a pair of reels from a dealer on there....the anti reverse went on one and he replaced it without the slightest quibble. A brand new reel arrived 3 days after I'd posted the knackered one back.

I will buy local if I can but not if the price differential is simply too much to ignore.I saved enough on those reels to fill both with top quality line AND get new reel cases.Having spent thousands in my local shops over the years I think £2 off a ton is no sort of a deal.

Last edited:

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I've bought for Leslies of Luton in the past and Fishtech no problems from either but mostly I buy from a shop

Climax
Bankside tackle
Mosborough tackle
The last 2 are within 5 mins from home

waggler

Reaction score
I've bought some great tackle off Ebay at super prices compared to in the local tackle shop.

Mixed views on online tackle shops,
My most recent online purchase was a couple of shakespeare reels off a site called Carp Fishing Reels.
They arrived in less then 48hrs and delivery was only £3 so can't complain.

Rickrod

Reaction score
Climax tackle

Eric's of leeds

fish-tec

Billy clarke's

I've ordered loads off these shops and never had any problems

bails

Reaction score
Http://fishingbaits.biz has been very good for me. Only for bait though so far. They promise next day delivery if ordering before 2pm. I've ordered many times up to 6pm and they have always delivered next day. They focus mainly on Marukyu bait and could do with a few more brands, non the less, they live up to what they say.

They have just added a link to the site selling fishing tackle, but there is nothing listed yet, I guess they intending to add tackle.