The perfect rod bands!

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I am looking at buying a set of rod/lead bands and tip protectors and I am wondering if you guys know of a product that works!
I bought the greys products last season but I bought them on a whim and they really are not up to much ie, they don't wrap around the blanks very tightly and are not made so the rod sections don't rub each other and cause damage.
I used to make my rods up at bankside but last reason I decided on taking broken down tackle with me but I let down badly by this greys product (most of greys gear is really good)
hope you chaps can help
Thanks

Mark

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Your better of just using some wide elastic bands, or failing that make your rods up on the bank and stop em getting damaged. I can't see the point in buying quality tackle only to scratch it etc.
People buy top reels only to put them on rods with reel seats that scratch or damage the reel foot. I've found the daiwa tournamet reel seats are a pain for damaging reel feet !

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
I've used Nash Tip Tops for quite a few years now and they suit me. Protect the tips both in transit (threading into the car) and walking along the bank. I haven't experienced any damage to my rods. Used to use velcro bands of various type (I kept losing them) but I find the Tip Tops much better.

Stu

little oik

Reaction score
Just go to poundland and get yourself a couple of rolls of velcro cheap as carrots and you can cut it to whatever lengths you want

terry m

Reaction score
Another vote for the Nash Tip Tops, they work perfectly. I couple them with Fox rod bands which work well for two or three seasons. My reels are protected by the Trakker reel covers which again are good. Sure, it takes a couple of extra minutes to pack away properly, but it is worth it as the kit stays in very good condition.

Advise that you avoid Wychwood rod bands, I tried them once and they are pants!

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I use Nash Tip Tops on top of the rod to protect fragile quiver tips and rings etc., but at the bottom I use some elasticated bands with a Velcro patch that Sandra Halkon Hunt had made up a few years ago now. You might want to contact her see if she still has any.

Here's my review from 2008 They do still work, never lost one nor had one broken on me. Terrific product and I hope she still does them.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I use Nash Tip Tops on top of the rod to protect fragile quiver tips and rings etc., but at the bottom I use some elasticated bands with a Velcro patch that Sandra Halkon Hunt had made up a few years ago now. You might want to contact her see if she still has any.

Here's my review from 2008 They do still work, never lost one nor had one broken on me. Terrific product and I hope she still does them.

thanks for the replies guys, but I want something that doesn't allow the blanks to touch each other and scratch. another thing is that I carry my made up rods in a Korum fully closed quiver and so I don't think tip protectors will really fit.

Mark

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I want something that doesn't allow the blanks to touch each other and scratch.
AH! Well, I then take a HH band and fold the first couple of inches over and over making a flattened roll, wedge that between the blanks and wrap the remainder around normally. I do this with spinning rods and occasionally hollow tipped barbel rods.

(Edit - this is a bit similar to Mr Corky's tip)

It doesn't worry me though about scratching because you're talking about a really hard resin coating on the rod that, unless you were really vicious with it, you'd find very hard to scratch. Concrete and rusty metal can do it, but rod rings rarely will.

sam vimes

Reaction score
thanks for the replies guys, but I want something that doesn't allow the blanks to touch each other and scratch. another thing is that I carry my made up rods in a Korum fully closed quiver and so I don't think tip protectors will really fit.

Mark

I get two piece 12' rods with Korum tip/butt protectors and the Korum rod bands into the two rod Korum total protection quiver without any problems.

Rich Frampton

Reaction score
As has been already mentioned it is best to wrap around one section before the second....... the longer the band the easier but the Thinking Angler bands are the longest that I have come across.They are very thick though so better going on below the tip protectors.They are also the only ones I have found that comfortably allow to enclose an inline stonz weight without it touching either section!!
Rich.

Philip

Reaction score
Not so Philip. If the band wraps round one section before wrapping round both the they can be held apart slightly.

Fraid so Matt...goodness, if you really want to be that fickle about it then due to the flexibility/softness of the bands when you move around the sections can still touch. The question asked was about keeping the sections totally apart so I suggested the the Roberts product as it does that as its made of rigid plastic.

...However I found them a bit fiddly to use plus I am not that bothered about if the sections touch so I just wrap my rods in velco strips or more recently I have started to use some elastic toggle bands that seem to work quite well. The advantage of these is that the sections are touching but they are held so tightly together they cant bang against each other.

Last edited:

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Fraid so Matt...goodness, if you really want to be that fickle about it then due to the flexibility/softness of the bands when you move around the sections can still touch. The question asked was about keeping the sections totally apart so I suggested the the Roberts product as it does that as its made of rigid plastic.

...However I found them a bit fiddly to use plus I am not that bothered about if the sections touch so I just wrap my rods in velco strips or more recently I have started to use some elastic toggle bands that seem to work quite well. The advantage of these is that the sections are touching but they are held so tightly together they cant bang against each other.

cheers Phill,
I did own a couple of pairs of the said Roberts bands but they went a little walkies!!!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Anything that sort of wraps round the blanks is going to mean the sections touch each other.

The only thing I can think of that physically holds the top and bottom apart was a John Roberts product...

John Roberts : Plastic Moulded Rod Bands 2pk (3228) - Discount Fishing Tackle

I brought some but I have just gone back to wrapping the rods.

I've never seen those and they do look good, only thing i'm not to keen on is having the top sectin with the tip at the bottom.
Philip, why did you stop using them ? I know they're cheap but it's pointless getting a set or two if there's a problem.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
They're the ones I use, also bought off Ebay.

If you'd like to try them Mark, i'll send you a pair, message me your address and i'll get them in the post on Monday.

Thankyou very much Merv, but I managed to pick some fox ones up this lunch time from coppull anglers and they are just the ticket!

Mark

peterjg

Reaction score
Knicker elastic makes makes great rod bands - buy a length of half inch wide knicker elastic and cut it into 6 inch lengths then use two or three bits to hold the rod together with a simple overhand knot. This also works a treat with quivertip rods - use two bits of knicker elastic on the tip section and one on the but.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Knicker elastic makes makes great rod bands - buy a length of half inch wide knicker elastic and cut it into 6 inch lengths then use two or three bits to hold the rod together with a simple overhand knot. This also works a treat with quivertip rods - use two bits of knicker elastic on the tip section and one on the but.

Sorry peterg, we don't allow 'tackle-tarts' on here :eek::eek::D:D