Slugs

H

Huw (ACA)

I know, I know! You're all saying, oh no, not slugs again.Sorry, but, I have an infestation, or is that colonisation, (there's so many of them) in my garden. In the main they're the nice, juicy black ones which chub are supposed to adore.
I am not a squeamish angler, not by any stretch of the imagination, so I have no problem handling them. Being an ex-employee of Dyno Rod put a stop to that. All I need, (want) to know is the optimum method of hooking the blasted things for best presentation.
Some say you should match the hook to the slug. That precludes that all the beasties are the same size,otherwise you'd be changing your hook every cast, surely. Also, would you fish them with a lighter hook length, or mainline straight through?
The advice of your most inimitable selves would be greatly appreciated.

paul martin 7

Reaction score
get a load, wash them well, fry them gently with some garlic, basil and a cup of white wine, lovely!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Superb chub bait, but watch out for smash takes. Chub can at times seem to attack them.

A 4 hook is about right for a big black slug.

I've caught tench on the smaller brown ones.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I much prefer a full bodied red wine with slugs done in garlic butter. Alto Cabernet Sauvignon '64!

:eek:)

D

david bruce 1

In 40 years of chubbing and regularly trying slugs I have not had a single take! Still trying on the Severn and Dane :)

H

Huw (ACA)

Thanks for the fishing advice. Paul and Ron, your culinary tips are appreciated, but PLEASE, neither one of you EVER invite me to tea. Thanks very much!!!

H

Huw (ACA)

P.S. Don't you even tell me that they are the same as l'escargot. Had 'em don't like 'em. Ditto Frogs Legs, Chicken be damned, they taste like frogs legs. C'est la vie.

H

Huw (ACA)

P.P.S. Why do people say that anything they can't describe the taste of refer to chicken? I'm not a fan of chicken, but,... well you know!!!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

David,

Try twitching your slug or even winding it slowly upstream.

I love escargot. Swordsy got me a couple of cans of them a few years ago.

Yummy!

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

Old Charlie (slugger) Landells...CSG President and well known to many older LAA members, uses sea size hooks (01/02's) and fishes them straight through.

He's written a few articles on using slugs (including breeding them). If he's OK about it, I'll copy and post on here.

The odd times I've used slugs I keep a small bag of sandy soil to dip my finger tips into; gives a better grip and stops the slime getting everywhere.

I have a couple of resident frogs in the back garden that keep the slugs and snails under control.

nicky

Reaction score
howdy huw did you ever get down to draethen after them chub, if so did you catch any.

I've never caught on the slugs as the only time i've used them has been more out of curiosity and i've usually been using size 14 hooks fishing maggots and just wanted to see if i would get a bite, i did get wacking bites that could only be from a chub i'll have to give them a proper try one day

F

Fred Bonney

I think I know what Dyno-Rod told Hugh.
There were hoards of, them big black ones, feeding on(not baitbox)something....(not Baitbox) a dog left on my river footpath!
All I can say is, if they get on your flask or your sandwiches,and they will,in current conditions,think twice before consuming!
Better still, make sure you look before consuming.

They also love Garlic Spam....but,I still carry on using that!

H

Huw (ACA)

Hiya Nicky. No, sorry mate not just yet. But I have a week off work in August, and fully intend deserting her for the joys of the river bank. She doesn't understand me:)

I've got to give these slugs a go, ther's just too many of them to ignore the opportunity. More free bait. What with the lovely Lobs from the cricket ground aswell.

R

Robert Woods (ACA)

One thing make sure slugs are well cooked before you put them on plate as they might eat it clean before you can...lol

nicky

Reaction score
huw to be honest i haven't fished the river yet this season either every time i plan to go it chucks it down and the river is pushing through too much, in my experience it doesn't fish well in flood,

JimmyFloyd

Reaction score
Slugs are a fantastic bait when you can actually see the chub lurking on the surface behind overhanging trees etc. There's nothing like triggering a race between a couple of chub by plopping a big juicy freelined slug right next to 'em!

I've also taken chub from swims where they weren't visible by plopping the slug in and freelining it, and feeling the line for bites. As Ron says they often give a 'smash' take and I've had them turn huge slugs inside out several times!

I use a size six hook put through a tough part of the slugs tail. Roving with a tub of slugs is a great way to explore a good section of river. It's definitely one of the best ways to catch chub - very exciting a lot like floater fishing for carp but with more violent takes!!

Y

yoggy

This brings back a memory. A few years back myself and a few of the lads were having a drink one summers evening at a local pub. One of the lads had one to many [as usual]. He started bragging about what he`d eaten over the years. A mate of mine said jokingly I bet you wouldn`t eat a slug!!.

No problem he said. After a while we set off to the riverbank which was only a few hundred yards away. By this time it was dusk and very damp. We managed to collect 5 slugs and put them in a crisp packet. We turned to our mate and said "Put your money where your mouth is!!!"

After a thousand excuses we managed to twist his arm. Three of the slugs went slowly down his throat!!!. You can imagine the laughter and banter,it was hilarious. After about 5 minutes he was looking rough to say the least. Another 5 minutes past and I`m sure you can imagine what happened next. Yep,up they came with the nights beer in tow!!!!!......he never came drinking with us for a while after that!!