A Knotty Problem

Michael Howson

Reaction score
Just recently I have been fishing my local stillwater and using the knotless knot for hair rigging and also the palomar knot For tying on the hook. These knots mean passing the line through the eye of the hook twice and i am having great difficulty doing this. The hooks i am using are Kamasan b911 and Drennan carp feeder. Any ideas how to solve this knotty problem, Thanks.

paul martin 7

Reaction score
Like Paul says either use a thinner diameter hooklength or change your hook patterns.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I sometimes get this problem Michael. I can tie half a dozen rigs no problem. The next rig I try just won't go through the eye twice. Must be a quality control thing.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Longstanding problem that Michael and very annoying it is isn't it? I try to tie a couple of rigs the day before I go and I use 2lb prestretched line to tie the hair then tie a spade end knot using whichever line I choose thus trapping the hair. You can pre=tie the hairs on a variety of hook sizes then tie the hook on the bank as and when necessary.

Another little tip is to cut the end of the mainline slanted with very sharp scissors forming a sort of chisel edge and making it easier to thread the line through the eye of the hook, makes a difference believe me.

C

Cakey

use a whipping knot up the shank and then pass the line/braid through the back of the eye !

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
I am using the 911s in size 14 and 16. I am using the knotless cos i wish to have a hair rig which is all one. I have no problems with lines up to .15mm. But after that your'r knackered and its time to whip the things on.

Trisantona

Reaction score
Forget Palomar Knots,use a Grinner or uni Knot instead, for knotless knots use either thinner line or bigger hooks, the ratio of hook steel dia. i.e thickness, to line dia. can have a massive effect on breaking strain. a couple of examples (i mainly use Drennan specimen eyed ,also sold under other names),size 20 hook =2lb. nylon,,,,,size 10 hook =6lb. line. size 6 hook = 12lb. line ....these are only a rough guide but must be taken into account.

J

john conway

Like the lads have said cut at an angle with sharp scissors, believe me it does make a difference. I tie my hooks off with twice through the eye and then a half blood knot. With 10lb fluorocarbon it?s a sung fit on a size 8 hook, I?ve got to drop down to 6lb line for size 10 or 12.?s.

Michael Howson

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I will print these tips off for future reference as my memory is deteriorating almost as fast as my eyesight so thanks again Mick.