Huge Rotherham Pike

dezza

Reaction score
I don't know how many of you have taken the February copy of "Angling Star", but on page 30 is a picture of a 41 1/2 lb pike taken from Thrybergh Resevoir near Rotherham.

I know this water intimately, having fly fished for the trout there for several years. Oh yes it does contain some enormous pike, I've seen them in the clear waters. I had a large pike grab a pound rainbow trout a couple of years ago. I hung onto that pike long enough to see it. It was bloody huge!

Thrybergh Reservoir, owned by Rotherham Town Council, is a stocked fly only trout water.

flightliner

Reaction score
There was a pike only day on that water many years ago, it attracted big name pikers from around the country but there was nothing of significance caught. It may be a low density pike water with the odd really big fish.
Odds on the next pike day will see the circus back in town.
Speaking of, I looked in on Bob roberts blog yesterday (interesting as usual)where he shows the capture of the big pike from the trout water near Scarboro in north yorks on a short video link.Time the capture from strike to the fish being landed-- in all on my watch -- assuming the camera was rolling during the whole time---and it took around forty seconds to land, thats just a little over a second for every pound the pike weighed.
Food for thought that!!!

Philip

Reaction score
What happened to that big Thurne Pike ?

....wouldnt it be great to see the record go to a river fish rather than a trout rezzie....

dnahacker

Reaction score
I heard on the jungle drums a 39lber came out of chew today... apparently it was empty... just imagine ig it had dined before capture, fish that big could easily have consumed 10lb of trout :eek:

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know a res near chorley that is full of big pike and no one fishes for them...only me...and no I have not caught a big one yet!!

Mark