Barbed hooks...Still?

thedadda48

Reaction score
In a time where any old do-gooder/anti this-and-that type is looking to ruin someone's hobby (or passion) we still see adverts, hook tying techniques and numerous pictures using barbed hooks.
The only barbed hooks I have in my tackle box are those I have removed from fish or found on the bank.
Isn't it about time we gave the fish a more even chance?
What's the worst that could happen?
Worried about your wriggler coming off the hook? Place a small piece of doubled-over grass stalk on the hook after the bait. It works for me.

W

Wolfman Woody

You are entering dark territory here sunshine.

The issue of hooks has been discussed on here many times with pros and cons on both sides. I would suggest you do some forum searches and read all the info first. It's not just about loosing a worm, you'll find.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

And in many waters, barbless hooks are banned because they can do far more harm to the fish than those with micro-barbs.

As Woody say, I suggest you do a little homework about the dangers of barbless hooks.

Reaction score
Sorry but I do not believe for one moment that barbless hooks cause more damage than barbed hooks. Penetration is easier due to requiring less pressure to pull the hook to the bend. As for moving around in the mouth, utter codswallop on a tight line. Barbless hooks do not just fall out of the hookhold either. Stick a pin into your finger and see if it falls out easily. Barbless hook is exactly the same principle. A larger entry point is made with a barbed hook (read Kevin Maddocks Carp Fever and check out the section on hooks where the images are regarding the placement of barbs and howmuch tissue damage is caused).

I use both barbed and barbless hooks totally dependant on the conditions facing me and rulings on the waters. I can not recall ever seeing any mouth damage caused by using a barbless hook that could not be caused by a barbed hook. It is all about how you treat the fish during playing it and also on the bank when unhooking it. I do a lot of fishing with barbless hooks and braided mainlines on the waters I fish, yet no damage to the fish other than the initial hook entry point. With a barbed hook of the same pattern as the barbless (barb being the only difference), I have seen major scratches in the mouth before the hook has taken hold properly. Lead size hasn't made a difference (2oz up to 5oz), neither has length of hooklink or hair. Always the same conclusion that the barb is impeding the penetration.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

The jury's still out with me but I must admit I've used more barbless hooks just lately than I ever have and I'm leaning more towards their use.

I'm not convinced yet that they're better than barbed, but at least I'm trying both and will eventually reach a conclusion based on experience rather than supposition.

W

Wolfman Woody

"It is all about how you treat the fish during playing it and also on the bank when unhooking it."

That's the strongest point! (pun)

Too many anglers don;t remove the hook correctly whether barbed or barbless, but at least barbless often come out of their own accord in the net. Most of my hooks are barbless now (due to rules), but I am happy with them. Some I buy are barbed, but after I crush the barb down they make the best hooks although still not accepted by some fisheries.

paul martin 7

Reaction score
Iv'e used both and can honestly say I didn't lose anymore fish on barbless, except for one time when I was trying braided mainline for the first time, I forgot I was using a barbless hook and proceeded to lose a huge tench. That was down to the lack of stretch more than the hook in my view.

As Graham said I think both need extensive field testing to draw your own conclusions.

Matty C

Reaction score
Im happy using either.. I use barbed when fishing with worms on the river.. barbless for fishing with maggots.. yateley rules state barbed hooks Only.. no barbless at all.. other carp waters say the opposite..

thedadda48

Reaction score
Wow!!

To say "you learn something new everyday" is an understatement.

I would like to thank all those who have commented on this subject.

I did not intend to 'stir muddy waters' but glad to have achieved such a response.

I used to use barbed hooks, up to around 8 years ago, when, on a carp fishing trip, I bet a mate (like you do) I would fare better than him using barbless hooks.

I think what won it for me was the lesser time playing the fish and the speed I unhooked them.

My theory is a fish is less sensitive to a barbless hook and, therefore, puts up less resistence making it quicker/easier to land and, yes, my hook invariably fell out after the fish was netted.

Still...Each to their own.

Tight lines.

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Grahams post really got me thinking......i would , by choice choose a hook with a small barb.....but!

Some of the waters i fish for big perch have a barbles rule....and on one of them the owner checks!

Rather than get involved in a big debate i use barbless and bits of elastic bands to hold the bait on.

Anyway....i can only remember losing one big perch because of it, so i can see the point graham is making.

The only thing is the perch i lost was bigger than any other i have seen on the end of a line!!! but thats not the issue lol

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Who the perch or the owner lol?

The water was near Hereford ish lol.....never asked either of them their name ;)

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Whisker barb or barbed for me, seen fish damage with barbless.

It's more to do with the way anglers unhook the fish rather than the hook.
In my mind Barbless hooks are fine for matchman, as they are looking to unhook fish quick rather than just pulling the hook from the mouth.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

For barbless:

1. Fish are easier to unhook

The fish spends less time out of the water. Simple for inexperienced anglers to remove.

For micro-barbed

1. Less prone to falling out during the fight.

Fish are less prone to "falling off" during the fight but more importantly you do not need to apply as much pressure during the fight to maintain the hookhold.

2. Once in the hook is less likely to move about.

Tearing and threading where the hook passes right through the mouth are far less common.

3. Don't penetrate as deeply

Important when fishing for some species such as Perch which have vital organs located near the mouth which could be punctured by a large barbless hook.

What we really need is a new design of hook with a bi-directional micro-barb. Such a hook would be expensive to make but it wouldn't penetrate too deep, wouldn't rotate and would be easy to remove.

W

Wolfman Woody

See you've put some details on now Clive, well done.

Also see you have a carp there so I take it you're after bigger fish. What Andy above says is true particularly of perch whose kidneys are just at the bottom of their throat.

What is as important as removing the hook is to make sure any wounds is well treated before you return the fish. A quick squirt with Klin-ik will cleanse the wound area (where the hook has been) by penetrating deep down. You may even see the fish jerk, same as if you have antiseptic applied to an open wound on yourself, but that's the Klin-ik doing its stuff. You can apply it to other recent and more natural wounds on it's body too.

Useful stuff to carry around with you. It works on humans too, well I tried a few weeks ago.

S

Steve King

I don't lose many fish by them slipping the hook whether using barbed or barbless hooks.

Where rules allow it I use micro barbed hooks or barbed hooks with the barb crushed down.

The reason I prefer small barbs over barbless is that the hook hold is less inclined to tear. I once foulhooked a carp in the middle of its side using a barbless hook and by the time I netted the fish the cut from the hook was about 2" long! I'm sure a micro barb would have caused less damage.