The Wyre Rig ? the Ultimate Carp Rig

D

droughty

you can use any end rig with this the important bit is the slide

D

droughty

for connecting to the rings just use a grinner. the loop at the swivel end is a twisted overhand loop knot by you can use any knots that suit the hook length material your using. you can tie off with the PVA through the ring and the eye of the swivel

Matty C

Reaction score
tis a cunning rig.. very clever.. however, would it not be easier, slightly more reliable as fewer knots and achieve the same purpose just by using a longer hooklength ? say a foot for example.. The chances when you cast out, that the whole 12 inches of the hooklength is completely laid out is very very slim (unless you drag it back), so surely when you cast out n leave it where it lays, the boilie will be within a couple inches of the weight, thus leaving the majority of the hooklength free to move around..

might be wrong, but just a thought..

p.s. a long hooklength would work just as effectively even more so if you use your pva strong thing, n just tie the hook an inch or two away from the weight..

Reaction score
My thoughts as well when I first saw it. However, using the swivel hook with a sliding ring to mount the bait on is something i have been playing with for some time and certainly does give a good hookhold. Have you thought of tying a bait on to a rig swivel mounted on the hook?

Matty C

Reaction score
well, however long you want it I guess.. the things you have to think about is if you have a long looklength, the bait will act more naturally with regards to it not pinging back after 6 or 8 inches like with most hooklengths, but if the boilie is sitting next to the weight and a carp takes it, its got to move a whole foot or more (however long the hooklength) before it hooks itself, and any indication is sent to you that something is happening..

Personally, the chances of your bait landing almost ontop of your weight is quite good in my eyes.. theres no way, unless using a huge solid pva bag as apposed to mesh, that your bait i.e. area around the hook will weigh more than the 2 or 3oz weight.. so when it hits the water, the first thing to sink will be the weight, thus dragging the hook and pva bag down, directly above it.. so when it lands, itll land very very close to your weight.. some people drag the weight back a few inches, maybe to dislodge it from any silt it has gone in to, but it depends on the lake bed I guess..

D

droughty

it don't work like that matty even if you use 2ft hook links it still direct to the lead and because of this you can still get bait spring back because you dont know how you hook link is lying . this way and you know you have got the free movement to con the fish... of course there are other ways to get the same results. but this is the best method and it cast without tangling. but go ahead and try it your way ..it don't get the same results i know ive tried it.
its simple mate ether use or don't..

your views on the pva bag dont hold up mate because when the lead and bag hit the water the are traving forward and keep traveling forward has they sink . your lead hits the bottom your bait or bag keep going forward and most of the time you hook link is fully extended . unless you use a bait boat or put eveything in a bag hope this helps if you are going to use rigs like this its a good idea to do a bit of study on rig mechanics it go's a long way in helping bank more fish

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Didn't realise they were rings I thought they were loops in the line.

C

Cakey

Christian .......only use this rig in a weed free swim .....it will jam and wont work

if its weedy do it Mattys way and z fold the hook length and tie with pva at either end

S

Steve Clements

Seems familiar, did'nt Jim Gibbinson utilise something similar?

B

Big Rik

droughty, if you'd have done some study of mechanics and actually studied anything in the water, then you'd know that a lead and PVA bag don't continue to travel forward in the water.
Get in the lake and watch it land.

On your other point, the only place your hooklength is fully extended is upward as the lead descends. If you have a stiff hooklength, then it will pivot away from the lead when it hits the lake bed, but if it's supple it will crumple on top of the lead anyway, with half of the hooklink looping up off the bottom.

D

droughty

theres a few variation on this rig don't know who was first. this is my variant. it works . am not going to say any more on this, so guys just look at it if you fancy it, use it.. if not don't . but don't criticizes it if you ain't used it ..tight lines

D

droughty

big rik. ive been study carp rig mechanics for over 40 years mate. so you've got your views and ive got mine. it would be boring if we all thought the same would'nt it.

C

Cakey

Ive been using tampax for 40 years but I still cant swim,ride a bike or play tennis !

D

droughty

Christian ,, the rig works fine in weed don't forget ive use they haven't , even if it dose get snagged up in weed it behaves just like a standerd rig

C

Cakey

who moi ?
like I say Christian if its weedy theres no point in using it

and where did I say I havent used it ?

F

Frothey

the lead will still travel forwards underwater, just not very far - why do you think ballistics people shoot bullets into water?

the bag will never overtake the lead, too much drag - unless it is smaller and more hydrodynamic. even hookbaits wont.

most of us that have been fishing for a while have used sliding rigs Dave, maybe not with a 360 rig on the end, but that isnt going to stop it jamming up with weed......

what to use when they've wised up to sliding, confidence rigs? just go back to 3" hooklengths like we did 20 years ago!

Matty C

Reaction score
I guess if nothing else is catching, it wonthurt to try it.. but I wont make a special effort to go n try this rig.. Im happy with my usual simple but confident set-up