Success at last!

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Well after a blank on the River Tirthan in Himachal Pradesh; another on the Indus in Ladakh, and a horrendous abortive attempt at the Trout of Dodital Lake; I've finally had some success!

I fished the Ramganga River in Uttranchal, some 50 miles north of the Jim Corbett Tiger Reserve.

For once, luck was on my side! There were 2 dry days before I arrived, almost unheard of at this time of the year, the height of the Monsoon.

The Ramganga was running off nicely, visibility in the water was about 4 feet. Perfect for lure fishing.

I bagged 6 Mahseer in 2 days. No monsters, but my biggest of about 8lb gave me the runaround! I hooked this fish in the fastest white water you can imagine, helping it rip 30 yards of line off the reel, almost before I knew what was happening.

I lost a bigger fish which just kept going, until it somehow managed to straighten one set of trebles, while distorting the split ring connecting the other treble.

It's difficult to describe how hard a Mahseer hits a lure. There's none of the tap-tap of a Perch, or the initial head-shaking of a Pike. One second you're in the routine of cast and retrieve, the next you're hanging on for grim death as the fish nails the lure, and careers downstream.

If you ever get the chance to fish for Mahseer, take my advice, just do it!!!

nicky

Reaction score
excellent ric
Maybe you'll have a bit more luck now i always find that when i've been having a bad run when it breaks the fishing is better than usual for a few week as if to compensate for it hope you find the same,

S

Stevie 12345

Well done Rick

Its more than a long way to go for Galloping knobrot

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

You can get knobrot in brum or manchester!

Nice to share your fun Ric.

S

Steve Clements

Glad you're happy Ric, you've got it in 1 with the description of the hit!
My first (and biggest) gave me a complete shock; 1 moment steadily retrieving; the next : "wh'appen" as the rod is bent double and you're thankful instinct allowed you to hold onto the it. Incredible feeling that. What a creature!!

Morespiders

Reaction score
About time Ric , was beggining to think you didnt know what you were doing,watch what your doing on your backcast if your near a tiger reserve, they fight harder than mahseer, good luck, take care.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Now you mention it Morespiders; although there were no Tigers around; I saw the fresh pug marks of a Leopard at a spot I was fishing.

Apparently they mainly feed at night.

I didn't do any night fishing.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

I bet Ron's fished for tigers AND leopards

Steve Lockett

Reaction score
Well done Ric. Glad you caught from where you did, as well. I've been hearing a lot of doom and gloom from the locals around there recently.
Suggestion has been that most stretches of the Ramganga had been fished out by rich-kids from Delhi fishing for the pot. Also rampant netting and dynamite.

Keep at it...

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Cheers Steve

It seems that the upper reaches of the river are fished (and poached?) less than the lower parts. I know the beats around the Jim Corbett National Park are heavily fished.

The upper reaches appear to produce more Mahseer, but of a smaller average size, hence less pressure.

I'm hoping to be on the Cauvery around Octoner, courtesy of an I.A. member. Perhaps I'll see you around?

Cheers

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Brilliant mate, and well done. Keep safe and happy fishing to you.

Reaction score
Well done Ric!

Once you've experienced mahseer most other species seem like pussy cats. You've put in the time matey and now the rewards!

If you can hang on in India til January, I'll see you on the Kaveri ;-)

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
I'd love to ****y; but my visa expires 24/11; when I have a date with some Mekong Catfish in Thailand!

Agree that Mahseer are unique. There again, they have some characteristics that are so similar to some of our fish at home.

To me, I think a fit river Carp would fight in a similar way, although it wouldn't hit a lure as hard (if Carp regularly took lures).

I've also seen Mahseer, in clear water, behave just like chub. They eat everything and everything, but when you approach them they just melt away...