Floating Boilies

malc donaldson

Reaction score
Hi all...due to the cost of some of the -pop ups-floating boilies- can any one give me any tips on how to have a go at making them myself,after throwing in freebies they never seem to last long and i would love to do all my own flavouring and colours ..any tips would be appreciated. malc

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Malc,

I dont think you will make pop ups cheaper than buying them, unless you are going to make about 20 kilos.

The best thing to do is take dog biscuits and add some colour and flavour.

By the time you have paid for everything and spent the time making them, its not cheaper, unless as i say you are making 20 kilos.

C

Cakey

all tackle shops sell a little tool that cuts a hole in a normal boilie
with the tool comes some round pop up foam that is then fitted into the hole in the boilie and is cut flush with a pair of scissors

and there you have one pop up boilie

D

droughty

you can buy popup mix to make your own. or add 50% sodium casinate to your mix. you can also just add a flavour to the sodium casinate and use it as a floating paste ....

C

Cakey

the other advantage with the foam Malc is your pop up matches your freebies

D

droughty

only problem with using form is that the boilies absorb water much faster and don't last as long .ok if you don't intend leaving them out long. but it works great on tigers nuts

P

pugwash

it matters when you baits fall to bits after a few hour depending on the make up of the boilies of coarse.

captain carrott

Reaction score
there's a few ways of doing it, microwaving them works but it can cause them to burn.

sticking small cork balls in the middle of hand rolled ones works but lifes too short to do more than a few.

adding more than 10% atlantic kryll to a mix can make it float as it rather hilariously did with a whole mix i once made, the gulls had a field day.

then there's mr cakes method of punching out the middle and adding foam.

captain carrott

Reaction score
i hadn't but i was thinking of it as a variation on the punching out the middle and adding foam, but really punching out the middle and adding foam is a variation on it because it came first didn't it?

C

Cakey

dont know what one come first but at the time they were brill ideas

P

pugwash

adding krill to a bait will make it lighter but whether it will pop up or not depends on the other ingredients you have in your mix where as say 10% krill and 30% sodium casinate they will come up like corks and also increase the protine level thus increasing the acid level making the bait more attractive to mr carp

J

Jack Pike BA

If you decide to get a mix to make your own microwave them instead of boiling them in water it works a treat but be careful with a fishmeal mix it will stink or even worst monster crab in a microwave